Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Baby's First Concert

Earlier this month we went to see Brad Paisley in concert. The tickets were really reasonably priced, so when I bought them, I got four, thinking we could either take some friends or take Nicky and Daisy. We decided to take Nicky and Daisy to have their first concert experience.


First, let's address how that went. I knew going into it that Nicky would love it and Daisy would hate it. I knew that I would have to take Daisy to pee at least four times during the concert. I knew she would be bored and that she would think it was too loud. I knew that both kids would get really tired - overall Nicky would be okay but Daisy wouldn't.

A few days before the concert, I started panicking - knowing that taking Daisy was a bad idea. We had already told her that we were taking her, so just to make sure she wasn't disappointed, I talked to her and told her the ups and downs of going to a concert, and I let her decide if she wanted to go. She decided to go, and everything went pretty much as we expected with her. She wasn't bad per se, but the concert was just too long, too loud, and too late for her. I took her potty in between every set, and I told her early on that there is a strict "No Potty During Paisley" rule. She actually did as well as could be expected from Daisy, and I think she enjoyed a lot of the concert. The problem with Daisy is that if 9 things go well and 1 thing goes wrong, she hates the world. So even though she spent most of the concert looking through binoculars with intrigue and having a good time, all she remembers is that she felt bored for 2% of the concert and that she got tired at the end, so if you ask her, she will say she hated it.

That's the Daisy way.


Nicky, on the other hand, loved it. He wasn't big on the opening sets (neither was I), but he liked Brad Paisley. He definitely got tired as the night went on, but he enjoyed the music, the special effects, and the opportunity to be really loud (we have issues with keeping Nicky quiet at home, so he was really happy about being encouraged to yell and cheer).


As far as wholesome family entertainment goes, we failed a bit. We've been to Brad Paisley concerts in the past, and we always thought it would be fine to take our kids. Now that we've actually done it, I'm not sure it was a great parenting choice. I think the other concerts we went to, though, were more mild. This one had a lot of bikini-clad women on the big screen, and there are a couple of new songs by Brad Paisley that I didn't know and am not impressed with. And of course, there's the drinking factor. I don't know if I was just more sensitive to it because my kids were there, but it seemed like there was a lot more talk of beer than there has been in past concerts. On the good side, it opened the door for a lot of discussions.

This concert wasn't as magical as the ones I've been to before. But sometimes that's just a result of trying to relive an experience. Brad's set list also wasn't what I hoped for. Unfortunately, some of my favorite Brad Paisley songs didn't make the concert. I get it, though, he has so many albums, he can't possibly sing everything I want to hear.


That's a good problem for a country artist to have. 

No comments: