Friday, May 17, 2013

Post-Moodiness

You will be happy to know that I've snapped out of my moodiness.

Phew.

So... you want to know a few insignificant facts about my week?

Daisy puked all over my bedroom carpet the other night. Her timing was impeccable. Zoe was screaming, Nicky was in the bath, and Daisy had just gotten out of the bath and gotten dressed in her bedroom WITH A WOOD FLOOR and walked into my room with a CARPETED FLOOR. Why can't they ever yarf on the floor that was installed for the very purpose of catching yarf?

So I laid the baby on the floor and let her continue screaming, put Daisy back in the bath, and called a neighbor to come help.

The neighbor ran barefoot to my house and held my baby while I cleaned the carpet. And oddly, she asked if she could watch. Yep. My neighbor wanted to watch me wash puke out of my carpet.

Stranger things have happened. But still...

Fortunately, there were only two follow-up episodes, and we have been a vomit-free household for the past 32 hours. You just never know what you're going to get when it comes to throw up. This was one of the better experiences.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to have seven children under the age of eight in my care for approximately an hour and a half. Ages 6-8 were manageable, but the four that were 4 and under were a little rough, especially when I was trying to throw dinner together.

It wasn't a bad experience, but it reaffirmed my commitment to NOT have seven children.

On a related note, did you hear that mothers of three are more stressed out than mothers of four or more?

Amen to that.

I'm completely nuts right now, and I have this habit of thinking things like, "I can't handle my three kids. How does [insert name of friend with more children] handle [insert larger number of children]?"

But now it's official. Three is an all-around difficult number. Maybe I won't always be this crazy psychopath of a woman!

Maybe.

4 comments:

Amy Sorensen said...

You know...I think I reached my "I have four kids and I'm not going to be stressed about it" feeling when I had three kids. Because THEEEEE. HARDEST. for me was having two kids. It's hard to explain why...but it has something to do with, when I had two, I constantly felt torn. Like by trying to make two kids happy I was always only doing 50% for each of them. But once I had three, maybe it was easier because the math just got too complicated so I gave up feeling guilty? I don't know.

What I really want to say is: I'm sorry about the puking on the carpet. That's no fun at all. And, I confess: whenever I am feeling lonely for little ones, I remind myself that ALL of my kids can puke in the toilet. That's something! :)

Cheyenne and Seth and Co. said...

Three was definitely super rough in the beginning, (say the first year :) But it got much much better. In fact 1, 3, and 5, have been my hardest. Something about the odd numbers! 4 really was the easiest for me, by far. It was awesome. But of course it's been all the other circumstances in our life at each of the different times that have played a factor. But really, 3 and 4 night and day difference :)

khead44 said...

I love the fact that you have a neighbor you can call who will rush over in bare feet and hold your baby for a few minutes. I'm jealous not just that she is there but also you feel comfortable enough to call her. I think every mom should have that.

Shirley Smith said...

I love you, Britt! Sounds like you have a pretty awesome neighbor. :)