Wednesday, May 1, 2013

A Screen-Free Week Confession

So it's Screen-Free Week.

And despite my current online presence, things are going great. We haven't watched an ounce of TV. There have been no video games or movies. We have stayed pretty busy with play dates, outdoor activities, and chores. Nicky has been great and hasn't even asked for any screen-related activities. Daisy has asked a few times but hasn't put up too much of a stink when I have reminded her that we aren't doing those things this week.

This has all been possible because of one thing: Scotty has this week off school.

Oh, what a difference it makes when Daddy comes home at 5:30 p.m.

This gives me hope for the future. Someday, Scotty will graduate and become a more permanent fixture in our home.

One more year.

One more year.

One more year.

Well, a year and a half, more like.

It's getting closer.

And when that time comes, we will naturally have a lot less screen time because we will be out working in the yard or riding bikes as a family. And when we watch movies, it will be because it's Family Movie Night. I will be able to tag-team with my husband instead of carrying most of the daily parenting responsibilities by myself. I might be less stressed out and ornery all the time.

Might.

But back to Screen-Free Week.

Here are some of the things we have done to help this week be a success:

  • Covered the TV with a blanket
  • Made a list of activities we wanted to do
  • Told our family and friends we are doing Screen-Free Week so they can help support us
  • Discussed our goal as a family
  • Decided to treat ourselves to pizza and ice cream at the end of the week to celebrate
There's just one little glitch: 

Me.

I really wanted to give up recreational computer and internet time for this week, but I didn't do it. On Monday morning, I was expecting some e-mails for church-related business, and I checked my e-mail on my phone. It all went downhill from there. I haven't even tried.

But TV? Movies? 

Easy. I rarely watch TV or movies anymore.

Sometime, though, I need to wean myself off the internet. I admit, I have a problem.

Tsk, tsk.





2 comments:

heidikins said...

Oh hi!

I think the screen free thing is awesome. I've mostly weaned myself from TV and movies...but the interwebs? Gah, I just love the interwebs so much!!

Problem? Um, probably a little.

xox

Miss L said...

Ha!!! I loved this because I sooooo have empathy.. I told my hubs about Screen Week and we were so on board! And Monday rolled around. And I lasted about 5 hours, and screen week crashed and burned. But we did start to limit it, and that inspriation was due to you. So thanks.. :)