Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Currently {August 2012 Edition}

Reading: Graveminder by Melissa Marr. It's not great. I'm only continuing on because no other books on my hold list have come in at the library yet (but I should be getting one or two today).

Wondering: Why we say "the" United States of America, "the" Congo, and "the" Ukraine, but not "the" China, "the" France, or "the" Canada.

(Thank you, BBC).

Procrastinating: picking a thousand peppers out of the garden and freezing them. I haven't decided if I want to blanch them or not - a great excuse to just leave them alone. Also, I haven't decided what quantities and combinations I want to freeze. Talk about stress!

Craving: gummi worms and donuts. This is definitely a sugar-oriented pregnancy.

Dreading: having my wisdom teeth out next year. I keep hearing horror stories of "old" people (i.e. people over age 20) having major complications and almost dying from wisdom teeth extraction. Plus, I'm worried I'll be a fool coming out of anesthesia. I don't want to be the next Chaddy!

Wearing: my jammies.

Needing: new nail polish. My "normal" colors have all dried out, and all I have now are green, royal blue, and black. I need a few "safe" tones for every day.

Suffering from: a runny nose. It feels so weird to be sniffly in this hot weather.

Thankful for: the Instacare doctor who taught us how to reset a dislocated elbow. Daisy just had her third episode of nursemaid's elbow last night, and we were able to fix it. You wanna know what's weird? She wasn't even doing anything! She was just sitting at the kitchen table eating a treat and started screaming and holding her arm. That's what happened the last time, too. She was just playing calmly on the floor, and somehow her elbow popped out. I was reading some stuff online last night about nursemaid's elbow, and there were a bunch of comments in a discussion thread about a child who came home from daycare with nursemaid's elbow and how that daycare should be investigated because "that only happens when the arm is yanked in an abusive manner." I can confirm that an elbow can dislocate much more easily than that! That's not to say that the child's arm wasn't yanked, because it could have been, but there's also a possibility that it was NOTHING - just a freak occurrence, as has happened to Daisy twice (the first time it happened, her arm was pulled).

Enjoying: Scotty's last week of school for this semester. After tonight, he will have a few weeks off before he starts Big Boy School (i.e. university).

Proud of myself for: removing the packing from Scotty's staph infection wound. I am not a nurse, but Scotty had an infection cut out of his leg last Friday, and I had to remove 4 inches of gauze from the hole on Sunday. I really am quite proud of myself because that kind of stuff horrifies me.

Looking forward to: The Avengers moving to the dollar theater. I didn't get to see it when I was supposed to, and by the time I had the chance, it had been in the theater so long that I couldn't bring myself to pay regular theater prices to see it. So now I'm waiting...

Wishing: that I knew what day I'm going to have this baby so I can figure out if I need a Halloween costume this year. I know what I want to be, but I don't want to buy the components of the costume if I'm going to be in the hospital or at home with a newborn for Halloween. I can't just buy the stuff and save it for another year because I need it to fit a 40 week pregnant belly if I wear it this year. It wouldn't matter except that I saw the perfect pants for my costume at Ross yesterday. I didn't think they even existed, but now that I've seen them, it's like an impossible dream just became obtainable!

Splurging on: nothing. Unless you count the three-burner Camp Chef we bought from Goodwill last week (score).

And my $6 dress (double score).

4 comments:

Melanie said...

I once learned (I don't remember where) that it's not THE Ukraine, it's just Ukraine. According to Wikipedia, though, it can go either way - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_of_Ukraine

Anonymous said...

my stomach turned just reading about cleaning out your husbands infection. You are a good wife!

heidikins said...

Wife of the year.

xox

BerlyCrow said...

I'm not quite sure exactly how to feel about myself because....well....black nail polish IS my "safe" everyday tone. :-\ (this is your queue to validate my existence & tell me things like this are exactly why you love me - you know, since we're THAT kind of family now. See: Scotty professing his undying love for me - in the sibling sense - at the drive in last week.).