Saturday, August 18, 2012

Carrots... You Never Know What You're Gonna Get

The funnest part of having a garden is experiencing the accomplished feeling of a successful harvest. You always lose a few crops along the way - this year it was the watermelon - but that's just part of the experience. Having the work pay off, even in small doses, is very satisfying. 

Of all of the vegetables to be harvested from our garden, my favorite to pick, by far, are the carrots. There is something extra thrilling about pulling a carrot from the ground. Plucking something off the vine just doesn't compare to the release of the earth that occurs when a carrot surfaces. 

(Am I crazy? Does anyone else absolutely love this?)

The other thing that makes carrot-picking an amazing experience is the element of surprise - you just never know what's coming! 

Take, for instance, these lovers I found the other day:


I couldn't bring myself to eat them. They were a little too Romeo and Juliet for my appetite. Separating them for selfish culinary reasons seemed too much a tragedy.

But wow! It was sure fun pulling those hopeless romantics out of the ground.


2 comments:

love.joy.lane said...

I was a virgin carrot picker before this year. and oh how I loved my first time . It was so satisfying.

k said...

Those carrots look so very snuggly together.