Monday, April 30, 2012

Strange Confessions: The Wiggles Edition

I am overly curious about behind-the-scenes type stuff. If I had time, I would watch the bonus features of every DVD on the face of the planet.

(Alas, I do not).

Scotty is the same way, so we are both constantly trying to figure out how things are done. A few weeks ago we went to Disney on Ice, and our seats were so high up that we could see backstage over the black curtain. We spent most of the performance watching what was going on back there. We do the same thing at Disneyland, we both hang over the edge of the rides trying to see the mechanical stuff. It is our dream to tour all of the rides with the houselights on.

I also really like learning about celebrities and what their lives are like. I shamelessly stop on E! True Hollywood Story more often than I care to admit while flipping channels, and I have a fantastic idea for a reality TV show which I call Celebrity Family Values (you read it here first!) in which celebrities let us into their homes, and we get to see what their family life is like!

I know, I know. That's really not all that strange.

Here is the strange part, though:

Lately I've had an obsession with The Wiggles.


Daisy adores The Wiggles and always wants to pick a Wiggles DVD from the library. Thus, we've been watching a lot of Wiggles around these parts recently.

As I watch these four confident men in their brightly-colored skivvies* I can't help but wonder what they are like in real life. I mean, they run a corporation together - it can't all be eating rainbows and pooping butterflies. They have to get in arguments. There have to be moments where Anthony gets mad at Murray for having sloppy dance arms.** They have to have days where they hate each others' guts.

Don't they?

Don't they???


There just has to be some intense Wiggle drama behind the scenes (you know... more than just giving Sam the boot), and I'm dying to see it. Perhaps I'll reserve the first openings on my reality TV show for any willing Wiggles.



*Part of my behind-the-scenes curiosities led me to discover that The Wiggles refer to their shirts as skivvies. In America, skivvies are underwear, so naturally, I had to do some research to see what, exactly, qualifies as a skivvy in Australia. In the world of The Wiggles, a skivvy is a garment resembling a sweater with long sleeves and a polo neck usually made of stretch cotton or cotton-polyester and worn by either sex.


**Because if you know anything about The Wiggles, you know that Anthony has the most refined dance skills.

4 comments:

Melanie said...

I remember getting really depressed the first time I visited Toon Town at Disneyland (this was many years ago) because I went on this ride that climbed high enough for me to see over the walls and into the parking lot. I hated having the sense of magic at Disneyland dispelled by the intrusion of real life.

On the other hand, a month or so ago I saw a puppet show (big puppets operated by several people - not marionettes or hand puppets). After the show they turned the lights on and re-did one of the scenes to show us how they work together to put on the puppet show. It was fascinating!

Isabel said...

You should watch "Being Elmo" about the guy who operates Elmo. It is super cool to see how they do it. It's way more then I ever thought. (if you have Netflix instant it's on that.)

k said...

T and I will Wikipedia the HECK out of kids shows, but I almost always want to know more.

Especially about the Fresh Beats. I want a Behind the Music on them.

Anonymous said...

The Wiggles are Aussie Heroes!
Apparently, Anthony had porcelain veneers on his teeth 10 years ago. You can see the transformation when compared to the old videos. He's also the 'angry Wiggle', with a short temper and often has 'diva' moments. Oh I have a lot of Wiggle stories, I know people who went to High School or University with them and the Director of the Wiggles was a neighbour etc etc x Durga