Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Got Crabs?

Ever since he was able to speak in full sentences, my son, Nicky, has been very curious about crabs. He is always asking me about them - Where do they live? How big are they? Does it hurt when they pinch you?

I don't know where his fascination with crabs originated. In fact, I was quite shocked that he even knew what they were since, at the time the obsession began, he didn't even know what elephants were. I would assume that, in most cases, elephants trump crabs as a matter of toddler-interest, but what do I know?

Scotty and I didn't read too much into the crab thing. For a few years Nicky would mention crabs here and there casually and ask his curiosity questions. We just figured that our kid likes crabs. Whatever.

[photo: Animal Planet]

Around Christmas time last year, Scotty came home with a $25 Costco gift card. We were so financially burdened at the time that it felt like a million bucks to us. We happily loaded up the family that evening and went shopping, telling the kids that we were going somewhere special. We wandered up each aisle of Costco and looked at every bit of merchandise they had, including the seafood. The kids were mesmerized, and Nicky got to see crabs.

After our Costco trip, during the unspeakable hours of the night, Nicky came into our room sobbing and shaking uncontrollably saying that he had had a scary dream. Scotty made him a bed on our floor and tucked him in. I was barely conscious, but I heard Scotty ask Nicky what he dreamed about. Nicky explained that the crabs at Costco were getting him.

The next morning, I hardly remembered what happened until Scotty called home for his routine check-in and said, "I guess we need to keep Nicky away from the seafood section."

It was then that I finally realized that Nicky is not fascinated with crabs, he is terrified of them. All of those questions he repeatedly asks about them are to ensure that he is at low risk for a crab attack.

Fortunately, we live in Utah... far, far away from most sea creatures.

Unfortunately, we have crawdads.

2 comments:

erin - heart in ireland said...

that is pretty funny! it is a good thing you live in utah so you don't see too many crabs!

Katie Marie said...

I love it! My son has a random fear of tornadoes. We live in Idaho...... the state of zero tornadoes. You can bet your britches you won't be able to talk him into a trip to Kansas and The Wizard of Oz... forget about it.