Thursday, April 22, 2021

Lately

I have a bit of writer's block, but I've got the blogging bug, so I'll take the easy route and post about what we've been up to lately. 

Eva turned six on April 15. Time is flying! She got pretty spoiled for her birthday. I took her to lunch and to pick out a summer outfit and a few fun things for her birthday (she picked some sunglasses and a unicorn hat). She also got to go shopping with some of her grandparents, and then she got some birthday money that she used to buy a Present Pet. We had no idea what a Present Pet was, so Scotty and I were freaking out a little bit when the thing came alive in its box and started barking and busting out. 

The birthday girl in all her charm

Eva's cake (made by my mom)

I always let my kids pick the menu for their birthday dinner. Eva wanted pizza and crepes. Then my mom offered to head up her party so I didn't have to plan it. We had her party the Sunday after her birthday. 

-----

Our elementary school launched a LEGO mini figure (Lil Neil - after Neil Armstrong) into the stratosphere last week. This was a project two years in the making. We drove an hour and a half to Tremonton, Utah (to be clear of airplanes) to watch the launch. 



They were hoping Lil Neil would reach 90,000 feet. He ended up making it to 111,000 feet! He landed in Mantua, Utah (where my dream church/house is), and the principal was able to track him down. It was a really fun activity that helped keep us busy on a "distance learning" day. 

------

Last year I joined a book club, and we've stuck it out through the pandemic and made book club things happen (sometimes creatively). For the month of April we read Among the Lesser Gods by Margo Catts, which I really enjoyed. 


Our book club met last week, and the author joined via something-like-Zoom-that-is-not-Zoom. I admit, I felt really intimidated by the idea of having the author "there," and not being able to be my normal brain-dead-by-Friday night self, but it ended up being really cool! 

For a few minutes, I was even inspired by Margo Catts to write a book. The feeling was fleeting, though, and by Saturday morning, I was back to the assumption that my life's mission is to write obituaries and eulogies (honest truth. I've been asked by some of my friends and family if I will write theirs. The pressure to outlive everyone is intense).

------

I've started wearing overalls. I don't care how unflattering they are on me. You can't beat the food pocket!




They aren't convenient for bathrooming, though, so I have to make the choice between easy bathroom trips and food accessibility. 

------

While I was in California, I developed some edema in my feet and ankles. 

Check out that pitting!

I'm happy to report that it has cleared up! Now I look down at my ankles everyday and admire how skinny they are. I think, "Wow! I'm as delicate as a bird with those little bones!"

------

Scotty's dad and step-mom gave the kids a butterfly kit for Easter. We released the butterflies yesterday. 

Nicky setting a butterfly free


We had five painted ladies! One had an injured leg and possibly a deformed wing, so that one ended up back in our house. The other four are off on their own! This is the second time we've raised some butterflies. It's a fascinating experience. 

No comments: