Friday, April 10, 2020

Easter Excitement

I'm really excited for Easter! That's not a normal phrase for me. I struggle a bit with holidays because they are too busy. Now that every holiday obligation has been eliminated, I am sincerely looking forward to Easter.

There is something to be said for the timing of this pandemic. Here we are in the midst of Holy Week getting ready to celebrate the Living Christ. And a world-wide fast is being observed today, which is Good Friday. Here in the United States there are signs all around us of the earth being renewed. Within the last week, especially, there has been an increase in flowering bulbs and blossoms in my neighborhood. 

Blossoms on my backyard tree


Forget Me Nots from my friend Lynsie

All things testify of Christ!

For Easter this year, I'm excited to stay home - to take it slow. Our weekend isn't full of parties and egg hunts. We don't have to rush to get ready for church and get out the door on Sunday. We can wake up and worship and celebrate at our own pace and with our own balance between secular and spiritual Easter traditions. No guilt. No FOMO. No oversheduling. No having to choose between families. Just us doing our Easter thing. 

On that note, I thought I'd share something we did last year that was kind of fun. I was trying to think of something Christ-centered we could do for Easter at home, and this is what I came up with.

I usually have a stash of inexpensive battery-operated tealights in our holiday stuff. I use them for jack-o-lanterns, Christmas candles, and more. I also occasionally use them for activities during singing time in primary. They are quite handy!

On the night before Easter, we all wrote some phrases on plastic Easter eggs having to do with the Savior. Then we put tealights inside, and we put them in our bedrooms so they glowed through the night. 


We used the larger sized eggs so they could fit the tealights inside. 


It was really fun to make them, and it got us thinking about our individual testimonies. I loved seeing what my kids came up with. 





I went to bed on Saturday night feeling like a champ. Then on Sunday morning, Nicky informed me that he didn't sleep well because the glowing eggs bugged him. Oops! But he's a big boy and has every ability to get out of bed and cover the eggs or turn them off.

This is not to say that anyone needs to do what we do (I don't have plans to repeat this activity this year). But I thought it was a fun idea to throw out there. Chances are, you don't have the stuff on hand to do this exact activity, but I think there are a lot of cool ways you can incorporate testimonies into your Easter celebration. 

Whatever you do, have a good one! I hope you are all safe and well. 


2 comments:

McKenna said...

I actually have the stuff to do this!!!!!!! Thanks for the idea. Love it!!!!!!

JJ said...

Cute idea. I want to try this next year. I’m really sad about our canceled family parties but I was also excited to have a nice quiet Easter.