Thursday, August 14, 2014

The Not Nudist Ranch

For as long as I can remember, there has been a Beaver Creek Nudist Ranch sign along Mirror Lake Highway in Kamas (or Samak, if you want to get specific). I remember always looking for it when I went camping with my family as a child. Back then it wasn't as close to the road as it is now, so it was harder to spot. Whenever I would find it, I would point and laugh, "Nudist ranch! Nudist ranch! Tee hee. Tee hee." And then I would secretly scan the mountain terrain looking for naked people.

Now as an adult, I know the history of the sign. There is not really a nudist ranch there. Thirty years ago or so, the sign was put up as a joke, and it has continued to grace the landscape ever since. 

(I'm sure the nearby houses get some interesting inquiries).

Last weekend, we went on a hike near Mirror Lake, so I decided it was time to get a picture with the landmark.

image

I also left my mark on the board.

image

1 comment:

Kayla Moncur said...

My husband has a picture of himself hiding his not-quite-clothed self behind the big rock in front of that sign! He was so classy in college.