Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Skills

The other day I went to Hot Dog on a Stick for lunch. It was the last thing I needed in life. There was food at home. I was broke. I’m also “trying” to make healthier choices. So Hot Dog on a Stick? Rebellious in every possible way! But sometimes you just need someone to hand you a corn dog through a window so you can go about your day.

We have a locally owned, stand alone Hot Dog on a Stick with a drive thru nearby. I pulled up to the ordering box and placed my order. They make everything fresh to order, so it takes a bit to get your food at the window. When my food was ready, Jilly Bean (as her name tag reads, who I think is the owner based on past conversations with her) told me that I placed my order “so well” that she wanted to give me a free pepper jack on a stick. I was thrilled because I always order the American cheese on a stick and never stray, but for free, I was totally willing to venture to new cheeses.  


From this exchange with Jilly Bean, I learned two things:

1. There are nice people in the world.

2. Being good at ordering fast food is a life skill that can (and should) be rewarded.

I’m adding that to my resume and possibly my tombstone:

Here lies Britt - she was good at ordering fast food.



2 comments:

love.joy.lane said...

YES! Life skills I can get behind!

Anonymous said...

I love it! Can you please give a fast food ordering so we'll seminar please? I'd come to it!!