Thursday, August 26, 2021

Garbage Cans, Fruit, Toast, and Sunflowers

I've been amazingly productive this week. I don't mean to brag or anything, but wow! I have gotten so much done. I feel like this burst of energy could disappear at any moment, so I'm going to milk it for all it's worth. 

Do you wanna know what I did just five minutes ago?

I washed my outside garbage cans. 

When my life is such that I can actually bring myself to wash out my garbage cans, you know something is different. There's some extra motivation coming from somewhere. 

Again... I will milk it. 

But washing garbage cans definitely deserves a blogging break. So here I sit on my couch with a cup of ice water and my laptop, blogging away. 

Let's talk more about those garbage cans though (totally blog worthy).

They stank. Which is nothing abnormal for outside garbage cans, but let me emphasize the stank. On Monday, I was working in the garden, and mayyyybeee I had a wheelbarrow full of rotten tomatoes and corn stalks that had collected some rainwater. And mayyybeee it smelled so retched I started dry heaving. And mayyybeee I dumped the water out on the ground, and it stank so bad I could smell it from the front yard while it dried out. And mayyybeee I had to put the corn stalks and tomatoes in my garbage can and let it sit for four days before the garbage service came.

If that were so, it might be possible that when I went to bring the cans in, I almost tossed my cookies. 

So, there you have it. 

The garbage cans are currently upside-down on my lawn until I'm done with this post, and then I'll go turn them right-side up for a good sun soaking. 

In other news of productivity, I've done a bit more canning this week. Yesterday I picked three quarts of raspberries (it took about an hour), and I was able to make nine 8oz jars and nine 4oz jars of jam. Then I went and picked almost 50 pounds of peaches and canned seven quarts. 

Quick peach math: one quart of peaches takes about 2-3 pounds of peaches. I always plan on three pounds because there are always some peaches that end up too damaged to use. So I still have 20-25 pounds of peaches left to do something with today. I think I'm going to freeze them. I'm remembering now that canning peaches is actually pretty horrible work.

Mama B asked the other day where I got my canning supplies since they are hard to come by right now. I had some lids I bought last year before canning season. I wanted to have some on-hand just in case I wanted to do some canning, so I purchased them while they were still in stock. A few weeks later, the world was fighting for canning supplies. I didn't use those lids last year, so I still had them. But then I needed more regular mouth lids and haven't been able to find any, but I did find some jars, so I bought jars even though I didn't need jars just so I could have the lids that they come with. Amazon has lots of off-brand lids, but I don't trust them. 

In other news... here's how Zoe eats toast:

She massacres it. Charming, right?

I'm a bit obsessed with the sunflowers in my yard, and I take pictures of them almost every day. 


I did the same thing last year

The individual flowers are so beautiful. But if you stand in front of my house and look at them collectively, they are a hot mess. They are growing all sorts of strange directions. I planted them in the shade this year, never expecting them to actually grow, but they did! And since they are trying to find the sun, they have grown at an angle, and they just look ridiculous! They're kind of like my children - awkward and a bit weird, but I love them with abundance!

Okay, my friends, I'm off to turn my garbage cans. Please bless they are significantly less stinky. 






No comments: