Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Golf Mom

We are beginning some new adventures around here with the start of the school year. For one thing, my youngest child will be in first grade, thus, I have reached that beautiful milestone where all my kids are in school all day. For the past 11 years, I have had a mid-day stop at the school for either preschool or kindergarten, so I've mentally divided my days into "morning block" and "afternoon block." This year, I can go somewhere in the morning and not come back until afternoon! I can't even fathom that type of schedule! It's a thrill I've not yet known. Also, with first grade, all of my kids will start school on the same day! Prior to this year, I always had at least one child starting school a few days later than the rest, so we had multiple "First Days of School." 

Secondly, Nicky is going to high school. HIGH SCHOOL!!! I swear I just gave birth to the kid, and now I'm counting down the days til he can get a drivers license because this mom needs another driver in the family STAT (approximately 500 days depending on the DLD's holiday hours - a necessary consideration since I birthed the child two days after Christmas).

Nicky is going to the same high school that Scotty and I went to, so I'm all sorts of reminiscing as I take him to various back to school events. I've been to the high school about six times in the past week. I've checked out my old locker and instructed Nicky to always look up before walking from the courtyard into A-Hall to make sure no one is standing on the upper level about to dump a bucket of water on his head (do they still do this? I imagine the discipline for such behavior is more intense now than it was back in my day). 

Nicky is on the high school golf team, and he had his first tournament this week - thus leading us into the new adventure of Sports Things. We haven't really ventured into the Sports Things. Scotty and I didn't play organized sports, so we've never really found our place in that world as parents. We did a little t-ball and soccer when Nicky was really little, but he just wasn't interested. He doesn't like competitive contact sports, and I'm fine with that because some of the characteristics that competitive athletes adopt are traits I'm fine with my kids not having. 

Golf is a great option for Nicky as it suits his personality. I think he's enjoyed it so far, but it will be interesting to see what he thinks after a few more weeks of practice and tournaments. He's never done anything with quite this level of commitment, and he's a bit of a homebody. 

I had to laugh because he was so excited to ditch his junior high uniforms, and then the golf team's shirts didn't arrive in time for the tournament, so the coach said to wear a navy blue polo. I had to go digging through our DI bag and bring Nicky's uniforms back out for golf.  

We’re allowed to go watch him play, but for now he doesn’t want us to. Whenever I drop him off at the golf course, I want to follow him around and take pictures, but don’t worry! I play cool so he doesn’t get embarrassed, and I keep my sneaky snapshots behind the windshield.  

Check our our bad air and Satan’s sunrise

I even resisted a beautiful shot of him walking into the sunrise (pre-bad air) with his golf bag the other day. He’s just so darn cute with his little golf outfits and his little golf gloves and his little golf shoes. Never mind that he’s nearly 6’ tall. 

Don’t tell him I said any of this. 

No comments: