Thursday, October 22, 2020

I'm losing my mind, but at least I have rice crispy treats

Almost an hour ago I started making rice to go with our dinner. I just went to check on it, and this is what I found:


Rice uncooked. Cooker lid open. No water.

My brain is currently mush. 

But now the rice is cooking for real (I triple checked), and while we are talking about rice, let's make a smooth segue to rice cripsy treats. 

A little back story:

I used to work at a Special Ed vocational training school. One of our training areas was a bakery where students learned to bake a variety of yummy goods and fulfill customer orders. Two of my favorite things to buy from the bakery were pumpkin rolls and rice crispy treats with mini Reese's Pieces in them. 

I left my job when I had Nicky, and I started making my own pumpkin rolls and Reese's Pieces rice crispy treats as a matter of survival. Back then, I could buy mini Reese's Pieces in the baking aisle. They came in bags like chocolate chips. Then over time, they started becoming scarce. Soon, I couldn't find them at all. I tried using regular Reese's Pieces, but they weren't the same, so I accepted my fate that I would probably never find mini Reese's Pieces again. It's been years and years...

But this week, look what I found!

These were somewhere in some store that I can't remember! Possibly Walmart. Possibly near ice cream toppings. Why didn't I make a mental note? All I know is that they cost $2, and I snagged them off the shelf in delight and then went straight to the cereal aisle for crispy rice. 

(Ah! It was Walmart. I remember now because I remember getting the big bag of Malt-O-Meal cereal). 

Anyway, I'm quite pleased to be able to have my rice crispy treats again. Today I helped Daisy make a batch.

We only put in half a bag of Reese's Pieces, but we probably should have dumped the whole thing in, so we could live a little! 

Daisy was a little distressed about pressing the treats into the pan, but she got the job done! 

If you're looking for a quick and easy fall treat - might I suggest tracking down some mini Reese's Pieces and adding them to your rice crispy treats? 

Nom nom.



No comments: