Tuesday, October 27, 2020

How Plates Unleashed a Monster

Building the doors for our basement gave me a bit of a project bug and made me want to make something else out of wood. For a while, I've wanted to make some plate shelves to hang over my kitchen table, so last week, I enticed Scotty into helping me. He's such a good sport!

And here they are! 

Ta da!

It was a quick, easy, and inexpensive project. Luckily we have this fancy workshop to do our projects in:


These are some of my favorite dates! Working on projects together! True romance includes watching my husband build stuff and hang it on the wall for me. 

It's a balanced effort, though. He does the building, and I do the staining. But while he's doing his part, I often sit back and say, "Oooo! That's how I like my men! Hanging stuff on the wall for me!" (I say the same thing when he vacuums, folds laundry, or serves me ice cream). 

I was really excited to get the shelves done so I could go plate shopping. It started simple enough - I bought a few chargers at Hobby Lobby for $1.50 each. Then I went to the thrift store and had so much fun sorting through plates. I'm not usually in the market for dinnerware, so it's an area of the store I normally skip. There were stacks and stacks of plates to look at and so many different options for decorative configurations. It was overwhelming and thrilling! Plus it was the first time in over two weeks that I'd been without kids, so that in itself made the shopping trip pure bliss! 

In the end, I bought a selection of white plates, two pumpkin plates (as seen above), and two Christmas plates. I did not buy the cowboy plates, though I found them very tempting:

Yee-haw!

I came home and started putting plates on the shelves, and that's when the monster surfaced. I didn't like the way they looked, so I rearranged them. Then I rearranged them again. And again. I also test-ran some Christmas layouts because I'm overly excited for Christmas decorations. 

But I confess, I've already bought three different combinations of Christmas plates, which puts me right on the edge of breaking all of my holiday decor rules

My affection level for the current plate configuration is about a 7 out of 10. There is room for progress. But I also need to keep myself in check. NO MORE PLATE REARRANGING!

Just leave it alone until after Thanksgiving when the time is appropriate to release the Christmas Monster. 

In the meantime, I'll try to stop buying plates, but I can't make any promises. 

--------------------------

And for the sake of keeping it real, here's what my kitchen really looks like:

You're welcome.

1 comment:

Mama B said...

It’s beautiful!