Friday, September 4, 2020

Van Life

September Writing Challenge - Prompt #34:

On the Go

One of the things I really loved about coronavirus taking over my life was that I didn't have to drive around all the time anymore. It was such a treat to stay home! I didn't have to take anyone to school or dance or piano or church activities or social events. I went from spending at least two hours a day in the van to never going anywhere. And all that gas money saved? Rolled right over into food. 

Because pandemics require a lot of food. 

Now that school has started back up, I have to spend a lot of time in the van again. Sigh... 

Even though I wish I didn't have to spend so much time in it, I love my van. This is an area of opinion where my feet are planted firmly on a side: I am pro-van. 

I love that I can push buttons on my key fob, and the doors open for me. I love that the doors slide, and my kids can't door ding anyone in parking lots (this was a huge issue in my pre-van life, and I had some really horrible confrontations with people who were sitting in their vehicles when my kids hit their cars with the doors... ugh...) 

We've installed tow kits on both vans that we've owned. For several years, we didn't have a truck, but with the tow kit, we were able to do everything we would have needed a truck for. We have a cargo carrier that attaches to our trailer hitch opening, and we have a trailer for hauling exciting things... like loads of junk to the dump. I love that my van has stow and go, so I'm able to keep all sorts of emergency supplies in the floor with room to spare. 

In honor of my affection for my van and the rekindling of our relationship, here are ten facts about my van life:

Fact #1: I have a monthly unlimited car wash pass. I can wash and vacuum my van everyday, if I so desire, and I love it. I used to think people who had car wash passes were really living the high life. Now I'm one of them! 

Fact #2: This is my first vehicle with a back-up camera, and I never want another vehicle without one. One day, I was leaving a store, and when my back-up camera came on, there was an elderly man bent down behind my van tying his shoe. No amount of blind spot checking would have led me to see that man (why he bent down to tie his shoe behind a running vehicle, I'm not sure, but he's lucky he picked one with a back-up camera). 

Fact #3: The leather upholstery on my arm rest is starting to crack. Van life isn't a perfect life, by any means. 

Fact #4: I keep a basket of masks in the van, and I also have a Command hook hanging by the driver's seat to hang masks on. 

Fact #5: We have a DVD player in the van. It has been the best thing ever for our family vacations. When we went to Lake Tahoe a couple summers ago, we hooked the Wii up to it. 

Fact #6: When I have extra time in the van (such as while I'm waiting for kids to come out of school), I like to read, Marco Polo friends, or listen to podcasts. I also use this time to scroll social media, respond to emails, and make phone calls (unless I'm at the elementary because I don't have service there). 

Fact #7: A few years ago, I had a gallon of milk tip over and leak in my trunk. I shampooed the carpet and the smell of rotten milk kept coming back (I have a trusty Bissell Little Green Machine). I tried shampooing it a few more times with different products (once with an enzyme spray and later with vinegar), but after a few days, the smell would resurface still. Scotty ended up pulling the carpet out of the trunk, and we sprayed it with the hose a couple of times. It was winter, and it seemed to work until summer hit, and the smell came back. We ripped out the carpet again and took it to the car wash down the street and pressure washed the crap out of it. That finally did the trick.

February 2017

Fact #8: There are some essentials I like to keep in my van: scissors, tape, fingernail clippers, thank you cards, grocery bags, a little potty, flossers, etc (in addition to normal things like jumper cables and a first aid kit). Flossing my teeth is one of my favorite van past times. 

Fact #9: My van has been involved in two little "incidents." I accidentally hit a truck in the Panda Express parking lot (I felt soooo stupid). And a short time later, a man backed into my van at a campground (he felt soooo stupid). Funny story about that second incident... when my van was being repaired, an elderly gentleman came to the body shop to pick me up and take me to my rental van. He happened to be the camp host at the campground where my van got hit! He spent half the week driving for the rental company and half the week at camp.

Fact #10: My van is a 2014 Chrysler Town and Country. They don't make them anymore! Thus, I don't know what my automotive future holds. For now, van life is treating me pretty well!


1 comment:

Mama B said...

I love my van too! We don't have a tow kit or a cargo carrier, but we strap a lot of stuff on the roof and as long as we don't accidentally pull in the garage while its strapped on it seems to work pretty well.