Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Bedtime Woes

September Writing Challenge - Prompt #12:

Yesterday

Yesterday was Labor Day. 

We spent the weekend camping - our longest camping trip yet! Three nights!

I deem it a success. 

Camp activity #208: Throwing foam airplanes

While we were camping, my mother-in-law (the garden hoarder) kept talking about how windy it was supposed to get in the coming days. This really freaked Zoe out. She was worried about sleeping in the tent and about things blowing out of the back of the truck while we were driving home (even though we would be home long before the wind was supposed to start). She begged us to leave camp a day early, but we didn't. 

Camp activity #435: Shooting bows

As of bedtime last night (back at home), the wind hadn't picked up much, but when I tucked Zoe into bed, she again expressed worry about the wind. This time she was concerned about the noise the wind might make in the night, so I offered her some earplugs. I put them in her ears - not believing for one second that she would actually keep them in. Daisy overheard the talk of ear plugs and asked if she could have some, too. I handed a pair to Daisy, and then Eva chimed in, wanting ear plugs. 

Clearly, I'd opened a can of worms.  

Long story short, Scotty ended up going out in the garage to get Eva some noise cancelling headphones. For the next ten minutes, we had to listen to Eva and Zoe yelling at the tops of their lungs from their beds:

"Eva, can you hear me?"

"No! Zoe can you hear me?"

"No! Eva can you hear me?"

Until Eva decided that sleeping in headphones wasn't going to work. 

Meanwhile, I had to tuck Nicky into bed and do this weird nightly ritual he insists on. He likes me to make him into a "volcano." He curls into a ball and makes me lay a body pillow over him. Then I have to place a pillow on each side of him and cover the entire mound in a blanket. I then have to bounce him like a basketball at which point he explodes from his volcano and falls off his bed, knocking everything off his nightstand.

Every night, people.

Every. Stinking. Night.

After I made the volcano and escaped Nicky's room, I had to go bounce Daisy like a basketball. She doesn't require volcano building, luckily, but she has her own weird thing. She insists on sleeping with a nightlight every night, and last night, her light bulb burned out. She was in a panic because she ABSOLUTELY cannot sleep without a nightlight.

But get this!

She also wears a sleeping mask. 

Nightlight.

Sleeping mask. 

Nightlight.

Sleeping mask.

Are you with me here? 

So in order to finally get my dang kids to go to sleep, I had to replace the bulb in Daisy's night light so she could cover her eyes and go to bed. 

Sigh...

Camp activity #86: Making scones

Camp activity #112: Throwing footballs at each other

Camp activity #337: Dragging mothers-in-law 
to the top of the mountain

Camp activity #361: Driving to the top of the same mountain 
nine hours later to get cell phone service to make sure we didn't 
need to evacuate for wildfires 

1 comment:

Mama B said...

LOL to Daisy and the sleep mask.