Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Sick Day

I'm sick!


Not complaining. Just stating the fact.

We've had a relatively healthy winter so far - just a few minor coughs and stuffy noses - so we are due.

Nicky was first. He came home from a weekend scout camp with a sore throat and fever. He slept all day Sunday. Daisy was next - waking up Monday morning with the same symptoms. Now it's me (though no fever for me so far). Nicky was well enough to go to school today, but I kept Daisy home. She and I are using today to be lazy and catch up on some Netflix and reading. Fortunately, I didn't have anything dire on the schedule for today, but I did have intentions of going for a run.

It won't be long before the little tornadoes come home, though, so our lazy time is limited.

Over the weekend, Scotty installed a new shower head in our master bathroom. We've lived in our home for 15 years, and we still had the original, builder-grade shower head from 1996. We've always talked about getting a new one, but there have always been other things that take precedence. We finally bought a new shower head for our Valentine's Day gift to each other. We got one with a stationary shower head and a sprayer. Scotty has always been too tall for our shower. Now he can actually stand up straight and rinse his hair!


We thought the sprayer would be good for rinsing our girls' hair out... turns out, Eva is terrified of it. On Sunday morning, during bath hour, you would've thought someone was being murdered in the tub.

I let Daisy try the sprayer on her own hair. That was stupid. She sprayed the bathroom counter and mirror and flooded the floor within about five seconds. I also caught Zoe spraying the ceiling and singing a song about waterfalls (a Zoe original). I haven't yelled the phrase, "Point it down!" that many times since 2009 when Nicky was potty training.



On Saturday night, our furnace went out.


We are on our third day with no furnace. It's chilly, but we're surviving. In the meantime, we keep telling the kids, "Just pretend we're camping!"

We sure take warm houses for granted! I can't tell you how many times a day I get the impulse to bump up the thermostat.


We borrowed some space heaters. Apparently space heaters are a common thing; everyone owns them but us!

The furnace should be fixed by tomorrow.

Until then, I'm staying in the sweats I've been wearing since Sunday.

UPDATE: The furnace tech was able to come today instead of tomorrow. He had the furnace up and running just in time for me to get hit with fever, chills, and body aches. Now, can I please sleep for the next 24 hours? Ha! No. I'm a mom! But I showered and changed out of my Sunday sweats... into some other sweats, and I feel like that was a step in the right direction.

2 comments:

JJ said...

Our furnace went out last year and it didn’t get fixed for two days. I couldn’t even stay in the house. We went and stayed at my sisters. I can’t beleive you’ve been I. Your house for three days with no furnace.

EriKa said...

Ours was out this weekend too! Sunday-Tuesday. It was miserable and made me very grumpy. But I realized how much we take warmth for granted and how others are cold for much longer than we were.