Friday, February 15, 2019

My kids don't have school today (and ten other random facts)

Fact #1: I've enjoyed sharing my KonMari experiences with you all, and I've especially liked the conversations I've been able to have as a result of those posts!

Fact #2: Several people have asked me how I feel about Marie Kondo's 30 book "rule." I never interpreted it the way the internet did. In her show, she stated that she tries to keep her own book collection to thirty books at a time. Nothing about that bothered me.

Fact #3: I have no qualms over getting rid of books, though. I love books, of course, but I don't need to own them (this is a drastic change from my twenties when I wanted to own every book known to man). When I buy books, I usually pass them on to someone else or donate them afterward unless I end up doing a lot of highlighting and know I'll revisit the volume again and again. I use the library a lot, and I'm starting to use Kindle more. I like the highlighting and search features of e-books (I never thought I'd make that transition).

With that said, I have well over 30 books remaining.

Fact #4: I've finished "tidying up" most of the interior of my house. There is still work that can be done in my children's bedrooms, but I don't have as much control over what we keep and discard in those areas. I got rid of quite a few of their things, and as a result, I've had a month of being yelled at and told I'm hated at least five times the normal amount.

(Did you know my kids hate me? They'll tell you all about it. Maybe someday they can write essays about it and earn scholarships. Or free therapy).

Fact #5: When the weather gets nicer, we'll begin the worst of the tidying up... the garage and shed. Heaven help us! That's Scotty Territory, and for some reason, he thinks his deceased grandfather's three shoe horns spark joy.

Fact #6: Lately I've been having a particularly difficult time with Eva. My three-year-olds have always been really hard, and Eva is no exception. Since Christmas, she has spiked!

(And she hates me. Just in case that's not already clear. She also hates everything else. Don't worry, she'll tell you all about it).

She wakes up in the night and comes into our room and yells at us because she wants milk or different pajamas. She won't go to preschool, dance class, or primary. She has a potty mouth, and she hits and kicks. She has meltdowns over ALL THE THINGS - like the color of the peanut butter jar,  a string hanging from her sock, a coloring book not having any 'beautiful' pictures to color, not being able to go swimming outside at grandma's house in February, and not having a ninja costume.

Fact #7: This week I had to help out in Eva's preschool class. She started throwing a fit in class, and there aren't very many places in an elementary school to take a screaming child where they won't be a complete disruption, so I opted for the bathroom (her sounds still reverberated through the two adjoining classrooms). I spent about an hour overall with Eva laying on the bathroom floor kicking and screaming (we went in and out several times). I had to do that thing where you act all calm even though your blood is boiling, and I had to use my fake, "I'm in control, and I can handle this" voice.

Fact #8: Due to the aforementioned Eva difficulties, church has been a real beast. I haven't had a decent Sunday yet this year.

Eva clings to my legs and pulls on my clothes while I do singing time. It makes me scatter-brained, sweaty, and angry. And I just keep a big, fake smile on my face - the kind that shows my inner crazy - while I sing all the wrong lyrics and pray she doesn't pull my skirt down in front of the kids.

I dread Sundays! Absolutely dread them. I'm already showing symptoms for this week, and it's still two days away.

Fact #9: How did I spend my Valentine's Day? Why, thank you for asking. I broke up fight after fight between my children from 6:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m. But in the middle of it all, I managed to prepare a my first ever... traditionally roasted turkey! It took me six hours from start to finish to get that dinner on the table, and all my kids wanted was the frozen corn that I spent three minutes microwaving.

Fact #10: Okay, okay. I exaggerate a little. They also ate some mashed potatoes and gravy which I made from this heart-shaped beauty:


1 comment:

love.joy.lane said...

Not a heart... Looks like a hairy butt to me.