Thursday, May 31, 2018

His Observations, Her Observations

As is true for many husbands and wives, Scotty and I pay attention to completely different things. For example, Scotty notices if someone's tire is low or if their plates are expired. I'm oblivious. I notice when someone has a new outfit or haircut. Scotty is none the wiser.

One of the things Scotty has always noticed is what kind of bikes people ride. He's been checking out other men's cycling equipment for our entire marriage. Any time we pass someone on a bike, he ogles, and then he comments on the quality of the bike and how much it probably cost (I'll interject here that my first anniversary gift from him was a Gary Fisher). 

Another thing Scotty is always checking out is rope. 

Yep, rope. 

When we watch The Greatest Showman and 'Rewrite the Stars' comes on, I admire the music and the choreography. Scotty admires the rope. 

I guess it's good that there's something there for both of us.

When your husband has a fascination with rope, you get to have a garage full of miscellaneous rope. Scotty is always sure to have emergency rope handy for all adventures. Here he is preparing his rope for scout camp last month:


I made fun of him and accused him of wanting to impress other men, but then it poured rain, and his rope came in handy for typing up tarps. Technically, he did impress the other men.

When we went hiking last week, we saw a lot of amazing petroglyphs and flowers. We also saw this rope:


I never would've noticed it because I was too busy finding hearts in rocks.


Last night for scouts, Scotty and the boys built a monkey bridge between two trees, and one of the other men made the comment that he'd sure like to have some rope like Scotty's. I think it was a dream come true!

2 comments:

love.joy.lane said...

Blake is always mentioning, "I need some more good rope." I don't even know what "good rope" means maybe I will buy him a spool like Scotty's for father's day!

Jen said...

That’s a pretty big spool of rope!