Wednesday, October 4, 2017

On Vegas

Any time there's a tragic event, I think about what I would say if I were to write about it. I always have a blog post running in my head, but I never write it - partially because I don't know if I'll say the correct thing and partially because there is so much "noise" following a tragedy that quiet contemplation begins to feel more appropriate.

I was in Vegas on Saturday. We stopped on our way home from California, and we were right by Mandalay Bay. The gold building was really the only hotel I looked at that day because it was the one that most obstructed my view. It shimmered in the sunlight. Everything appeared safe and calm. We left the city not knowing that the very next day, lives would be lost on that ground.  

I have many thoughts and feelings about Vegas, and they are all piling up with the thoughts and feelings I was already experiencing (and not writing) from all of the other tragic events our world has faced in the past few weeks. I'm choosing to not add to the noise, but I didn't want to move forward without acknowledging what has happened.

I will say that this event has made me think about what I need to do personally to send more goodness out into the world. It is my hope and my prayer that we will all be able to witness the goodness in the world during this tumultuous time, and that we may all be contributors.

No comments: