Monday, October 30, 2017

Dinner Party with the Deceased

Several weeks ago, I posted my first dinner party guest list. I concluded that I need to host many dinner parties in order to accommodate all of the different groups of people I want to dine with - celebrities, authors, religious figures, etc.

I thought I could make a dinner party guest list of people who have passed on, but it turns out it's a much greater feat than I imagined. When I consider all of the people throughout time who have died, it's hard to narrow down who I would invite to my dinner party. I would happily welcome an abundance of attendees: scriptural figures, religious leaders, politicians, artists, explorers, ancestors, celebrities, writers, and plain, ordinary people from all eras of existence.

I started thinking that I would have to host a banquet rather than a dinner party - I'd rent a huge venue with a serving staff and the whole bit - but then I remembered that my goal in having a dinner party is to get to talk to each individual. A banquet will not do! I am going to have to host approximately 86 dinner parties with 5-8 attendees, and in order to make it through all of my guests before I, myself, die, I'm probably going to need to have a dinner party at least once a month.

Oi! This is going to cost a fortune!

With that said, I better get my first guest list up and running. Here we go:

Guest #1: My Great-Grandma

First on my guest list is my own great-grandmother, Lillian. She died when I was 7 years old. As a young child, I adored my great-grandma, and I thought she was going to live forever. To this day, I believe that my middle name should have been Lillian.

I only have a very small glimpse of what she was like - and only from the perspective of a small child. I would love to talk to her and get to know her as an adult. It would be fun to see the similarities between her and my grandma (her daughter). I imagine they are quite similar, but what if they're not? What if they are mother/daughter opposites? It would be amazing to find out.

(For the next party, I'll invite my great-grandma from my mom's side of the family).

Guest #2: Steve Irwin

I loved Steve Irwin. He was so upbeat and positive in a way that was kind of unbelievable. I adore the way his family talks about him and how they treat each other with such immense love and kindness. When Steve was alive, he spoke so affectionately of his wife and children. He also handled scrutiny and criticism with class. He was just an all-around good guy, in my opinion.

I would love to talk to him about his family, their shared-passion for reptiles, and their values. My inner marriage and family studies major gets all sort of excited about stuff like this!


(For the next party I'll invite Robin Williams).

Guest #3: Eliza R. Snow

If you're not familiar with Eliza, she was the second General Relief Society President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the 1800's (she oversaw the women's organization of the Church... for over 20 years!) (nowadays that position is held for closer to five years).

Eliza was a pioneer, a teacher, and a poet. She penned one of my favorite hymns, "O My Father."

Favorite lines:

Yet ofttimes a secret something
Whispered "You're a stranger here,"
And I felt that I had wandered
From a more exalted sphere.

She was a very likely a victim of gang rape in Missouri. I can't imagine the emotional turmoil that put her through, but she remained steadfast in her faith. I think it would be an absolute honor to sit across from her at the dinner table. There's a lot I'd like to ask her.

Plus, she had a reputation for being punctual, so I know she won't be late!

(My next party will host Emma Smith).

Guest #4: Alexander Hamilton

Since Lin Manuel Miranda is invited to my celebrity dinner party, Alexander Hamilton is a 'must have' for my dinner party with the deceased. I'd love to ask him a lot of political questions, namely, how does he feel about the current state of our country? Which parts of the constitution does he think need to be reiterated? What appalls him about our modern United States of America? And what does he admire?

But... I'm not sure I want to engage in any political talk at the dinner party. So... it's more likely that I will ask him all about Hamilton the musical. What is accurate? What is not accurate? How does he feel about the music? The lyrics?

By the way, my favorite lines from Hamilton are probably from the song "Quiet Uptown:"

There are moments that the words don't reach
There's a grace too powerful to name
We push away what we can never understand
We push away the unimagineable

(Listen here).

If you're not familiar with Hamilton, it will be helpful to know that at this point in the play, Alexander's wife, Eliza, has learned that Alexander had an affair. Shortly after, their son dies, so Alexander and Eliza are working their way through grief and reconciliation. I would love to ask Alexander what he learned about grief and reconciliation.

And... can he rap?



(Thomas Jefferson is up next month).


Guest #5: Harriet Tubman


As a child I was very fascinated with Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad. Harriet (whose real name was Arminta Ross) has always been a heroine of mine. Not only was she courageous and strong, she was also clever and inventive. There are some fantastic stories of things she would do to keep herself from being discovered. One of my favorites was when she dressed herself as an old woman and carried two live chickens with her. When she crossed paths with her former master, she sneakily set the chickens free and set off chasing after them. 

Harriet Tubman was also a woman of faith. She had a firm belief in God and had visions and experiences that helped her lead people to safety. 

I have the feeling I could listen to her tell her stories for days. 

(I'll be inviting Joan of Arc to my next party).

I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I think this is going to be a pretty amazing dinner party. 



No comments: