The other day I was at the park with a friend, and we started talking about poop. I'm always shocked at how much there is to say about poop. Before I knew it, we'd engaged in 15 minutes of bowel-related conversation. I think we only stopped talking about poop because we needed to leave. The experience made me realize that I can talk someone's ear off about poop, if given the opportunity.
(Half of you are nodding because you can, too, and the other half of you are horrified).
This got me thinking about what other topics I can easily talk someone's ear off about, and I decided to make a master list. Maybe the list will come in handy someday. Maybe it will prevent me from talking about poop where poop isn't wanted. If we ever go to lunch, you can print it off and highlight the things you'll allow me to discuss in the event of awkward silence.
Here are some of the choices:
- My kids
- Books & other things I've read
- TV (including, but not limited to: Gilmore Girls, White Collar, Sherlock, Call the Midwife, Robin Hood, Scrubs, M*A*S*H, How I Met Your Mother, Home Fires, Friday Night Lights, Hart of Dixie, When Calls the Heart, & Downton Abbey) (note that I don't have all positive things to say about these shows. The conversation might include several frustrations)
- The gospel
- Pregnancy & childbirth
- Anything and everything I've learned in school (this part of the list is very, very long - it might require its own post)
- The 90's
- Board games
- Everything I've bought from Ross or the thrift store in the past year
- Things that bug me
- Throw up
- Why vans are awesome
- Running (but not from the perspective of loving it)
- My past jobs
- My history of celebrity crushes
- Umm.... myself...
- Lost (I know I already mentioned TV, but Lost is a subject of its own)
And, if all of these fail, there's always poop. Now, what would you talk my ear off about in return?