Monday, October 20, 2014

What I Wear

A few days ago, a short video was released by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints discussing sacred temple clothing. 

Throughout my years of blogging, I have occasionally received e-mails from readers asking questions about my Church. Two of those e-mails have been about the temple garment. 

I do not find it offensive to be asked questions about my faith, or even my underclothing. In fact, I think it's better for someone to ask a member of my Church about what we believe and what we practice than it is to refer to Google or to the media, as there is a lot of misrepresentation out there. 

Regarding those two e-mails about the temple garment - in each of them, the sender had heard about "Mormon underwear" and thought that it must be reserved for some unique sect of the LDS community or for those holding high positions in the Church. They were both very surprised to learn that I wear the temple garment. They were also a little shocked that I wear it everyday and not just for special occasions. 

Because I understand the curiosity many people have about the temple garment, I wanted to share the video today for those who are interested VIEW VIDEO HERE.

Some things you might want to know:

Who can wear the temple garment? Endowed members of the Church. This means that the person has attended the temple and made certain covenants (or promises) to the Lord. The individual then begins to wear the garment as a representation and reminder of those covenants. 

Where do you buy the underclothing? From a Church Distribution Center or online. 

Is it uncomfortable? It takes some time to get used to, but now I'm far more uncomfortable without the garment.

Is it hot? Frankly, yes. It's an additional layer of clothing.

What kind of fabric is it? There is a wide range of fabrics - cotton, cotton-polyester, DriSilque, carinessa, and even mesh. You can choose what works best for you. They come in men's and women's varieties with a few options for women's necklines (round or square) and lengths (knee or mid-calf). They even have maternity and nursing selections, but I haven't personally used any of those.

What if there's something you want to wear that doesn't cover the garment? I don't wear any clothes that don't cover the garment, save for a swimming suit and occasionally workout clothes. This is a personal choice, so not all Church members will give the same answer. We are given directions and then can make choices for ourselves.

Can you alter the garment? No. We are specifically asked not to.

Is it hard to find clothing that covers the garment? Occasionally. As you can imagine, a high percentage of what is offered in stores, I can not wear. 

For additional information, you can read one of my favorite talks regarding the temple garment here. I have referred to it often as I have made personal decisions about the wearing of the garment.

No comments: