Tuesday, October 7, 2014

School So Far

About a month ago I started school. I'm working on my BS in Marriage and Family Studies through BYU-Idaho. I don't live in Idaho, as you probably know, so I'm doing my courses online.

{Via byui.edu}

In order to enter the BYU-I online degree program, you have to have 15 credit hours at a CES school or you must complete the Pathway program. Since I graduated from LDS Business College, I met the credit hour requirements and was able to go straight into my program. 

I've had a hard time talking to people about school, and while there are probably several mysterious psychological reasons for this, the biggest factor is that I'm afraid of failure. I'm afraid that it will be too hard. I'm afraid that I'll give up.

It's a lot easier to give up when no one knew you were working toward a goal in the first place, which is why I've said very little about this endeavor. 

It looks like, if I stick to it, I'll finish up in about three years. I wish I could get it done faster, but I don't want to set aside my family too much, so I'm taking it a bit slow. I don't want my schooling to interfere with my role as a mother, and I don't want to have to miss certain things for the sake of studying and doing homework. Also, I really don't want to take out student loans, so even though it costs more overall to spread it across three years, I'm hoping that paying for it bit by bit will keep us out of debt.

For now, I'm muddling through. My experience so far has been pretty negative. I don't know what is wrong with me, but I am the student that always has problems; things like, my transcript being blank, my AP scores getting lost, the wrong academic adviser calling me, my tuition not going through, and so on and so forth. 

But yesterday I had my first positive schooling moment - I was able to get out of taking one of my prerequisites. So woohoo for that. Hopefully there are more bright things ahead.

2 comments:

k said...

I think you are going to do great.

Unknown said...

More education is never a bad thing, but that said, even if you have to quit, especially with a pregnancy and new baby on the horizon thrown into the mix, it is not a failing thing - it is a TIMING thing. You are brilliant! Anyone can see your intelligence shine through right here in your blog - degree or not. I admire you Britt! You are awesome! No need to have a fear of failure - you are smart, that's all there is to it and like I said, if for some reason there comes a time when you have to put this on the side burner - it's all about timing and NOT failure. <3