Monday, January 6, 2014

Running in a Winter Wonderland

I just came home from a 6.5 mile run. It was dark and 19° outside. When I got home, my thighs were the brightest shade of red I've ever beheld on my own skin. My feet were wet, my hair was wet, and when I sat on the toilet, I almost fell off because my legs were numb.

But...

I LOVED IT.

I was worried that I'd run less in the winter months and lose some of my ability, but I've actually been running more. If there's a snow storm, I am all the more excited to get out and run because the air is fresh, and I love the clean look of the white snow. I love the way it feels under my feet when it is powdery and new. 

It helps that I have some friends who are willing to participate in the craziness*.

It also helps that running in the snow gives me a good excuse to go slow (I'm not a fast runner, and I really don't see myself ever being fast). 

Also, I haven't fallen on my butt yet. That's a perk.

The only issue I have with winter running is the bad air - I live in a valley, and we get horrible inversion here. After a few days of poor air, my throat and lungs burn, and I feel like there is a weight on my chest. And that's without running. I do myself a favor and stay out of the muck as much as possible. But when the storms hit, I get outside.

I hope you didn't think this post was actually going somewhere. I just wanted to say that I love running in the winter. 

(Sidenote: I just had to make a blog label for "running." Who is this person? If 28-year-old Britt knew that 30-year-old Britt would do such a thing, she would have tsk-tsk-ed).

*One had to warm up to the idea. The first time I dragged her out running through slush and ice, I thought she was going to kill me. 



7 comments:

Feisty Harriet said...

If given the option of running in the hot or the cold I pick the cold ALL THE WAY!! And I often head up the canyon to get out of the muck.

*Often, like, once or twice a winter, not like every other day.

xox

BAK said...

You totally inspired me yesterday to go outside and run in the kind of snowy but 34 degrees weather. It was heavenly & I thought of you and your 6.5 in the dark & cold and thought, "Britt is a bad-a."

And I agree: winter running is the best. I adore it with all my heart. I just get wimpy with the ice and snow on the streets.

I love that you are running!

Stacey said...

You go girl! I didn't start running until I turned 30 and now I'm a crazy runner! Maybe it has something to do with being 30? At any rate, good for you! Keep running!

AmySo said...

This makes me sooo happy for you! My favorite winter running is when you start out and it's just a normal run and then a storm comes in and it starts snowing while you're running. It's like a billion little snowflakes clapping hands for you! :)

Just don't fall! (trust me: don't fall!!!)

Katie said...

Can I just say how happy I am that you are back to blogging? I love reading your blog so you are not allowed to stop again. Ever.

Anyway, I'm really proud of you for all the running you do. It's a lot of work and commitment to be able to run longer distances and I think you you rock my friend. Keep it up!!

Jana B. said...

Hi Britt, I have followed you for quite a while now and have never commented before, but I wanted to let you know that your running has inspired me to start running as well :-) I am on my way to make running a steady part of my weekly routine and I can already see the benefits it has on my physical and emotional wellbeing. Thank you so much!

Jana B. said...

Hi Britt, I have followed you for quite a while now and have never commented before, but I wanted to let you know that your running has inspired me to start running as well :-) I am on my way to make running a steady part of my weekly routine and I can already see the benefits it has on my physical and emotional wellbeing. Thank you so much!