Friday, January 10, 2014

2014: Sing a New Song

So far 2014 has been decent to me. I have been really excited to make some resolutions for this year (I started brainstorming back in September), but it has taken me until now to really ponder about them and decide what I want to accomplish this year.

On New Year's Eve, I stumbled across a blog post that mentioned U2's song, "Forty." I'd heard the song before but never really thought anything of it. I ended up watching a music video on Youtube, and I was really drawn to the words as I contemplated the changing year.

"I waited patiently for the Lord
He inclined and heard my cry
He lift me up out of the pit
Out of the miry clay..."

I took a moment and read through Psalm 40, and so much of the passage stood out to me that I decided to make my theme for the year:

Sing a New Song

(No trendy meme or banner necessary. I'm too lazy).

I don't usually assign my years a theme (though I tried it once and didn't really carry it with me past February), but the theme fits so perfectly with what I want from 2014 that I had to go with it. This year I want to change my perspective on many things, improve my spirituality, and truly become better. In other words, I want to sing a new song - a different one than I have been singing for the past year.

With that, here are some of my resolutions for 2014:

Run a half marathon before June. An actual, organized event is ideal, but I reserve the right to run a "private" half marathon should my finances prevent me from paying a registration fee (which is very likely). I signed up for an 8-mile race in June, and the race was just changed to 12 miles, so I might as well train for a half marathon.

Win something. I can win by skill (sometimes) but not by luck. I want to win something this year - a drawing, a giveaway... heck, I'll even settle for BINGO at a family party (even though I hate BINGO, but my hate is a direct result of the game not being winnable by skill).

Reach the weight recommended by my doctor. I'm 15 pounds away. It should be possible, but I'm not one to work overly hard to lose weight. I like my goodies too much.

Read the Book of Mormon as a family. We're already working on it. We figure if we read two pages with our kids every day, we can finish by the end of the year (and we can afford to miss a few days... which we will... because we aren't perfect).

Read The Power of Everyday Missionaries and the Old Testament. It should be easy, but the book? I just can't bring myself to do it. I've had it sitting on my shelf since July of 2011 when my stake leaders gave it to me and asked me to read it. And the Old Testament? I have no problem starting it, but I usually give up somewhere during Abraham's life (sorry, Abe).

I also have a lot of resolutions that are either personal, embarrassing, or not "measurable" (in other words, it's kind of hard to check them off the list) that I won't go into in depth here, but they are the ones that will really help me to "sing a new song:"
  • There are three friendships or relationships I have specific goals for
  • I am trying to do 5,000 things to improve my home/family life
  • I have a bad habit I'm trying to overcome
  • I'm trying to get in a better place spiritually and emotionally
In addition to my resolutions, this is an exciting year for two reasons:
  1. In February, Scotty and I will have a 15th Anniversary (of being "together," not of marriage), so from that point on, I will have been with Scotty for more than half my life! 
  2. After EIGHT YEARS of night classes, Scotty is graduating from school! 
So here's to the new year!

It's going to be a good one!







1 comment:

Cheyenne and Seth and Co. said...

I always enjoy your resolutions. I find it very motivating. Do you love that the Spartan has turned back into the "Beast?" I'm so SO happy for your family about the upcoming graduation. That is such great news!