Sunday, February 3, 2013

Zoe's Blessing Day

Today Zoe was blessed at church. This is an ordinance performed for new babies in the Church of Latter-Day Saints; similar to a christening, except that the infant is not baptized. The ordinance is used to declare what the child's name will be on the records of the Church, and to ask our Heavenly Father for special, specific blessings for the child.

Traditionally, babies are dressed in white when they are blessed, though it is not required. It's just kind of a fun opportunity for parents to see their little ones adorned in symbolic purity.

When I was pregnant with Zoe, I decided that if I had a girl, I would make her blessing dress out of my wedding dress.

  Scanned Pics 025 

I am NOT a seamstress.

Really.

So it was a risky project.

I used a tutorial online to make the bodice, and I came up with the skirt on my own using some functional pieces of my wedding dress. Here is the final result:

Zoe's Blessing Day

I was very happy with it. The sewing job wasn't perfect, but it was good enough to serve its purpose. 

Zoe's blessing was beautiful, and she was so sweet for her special day.

Even though cutting into my dress was absolutely terrifying, I'm so glad I did it. I didn't make Daisy's blessing dress, so I plan to make her a baptism dress out of my wedding dress. (And by that I mean "find someone else to make Daisy's baptism dress" because I? Have no desire to sew another dress as long as I live). By the time Daisy is baptized at age eight, my wedding dress will have been part of three very special and sacred life events. I can't think of anything better I could have done with it! 

9 comments:

k said...

Little baby smiles!

Kendell said...

Oooooh, she is beautiful! I SO wish I had done that with my wedding dress.

Haley was baptized in the white dress my mom made for me for my baptism. I hope if she ever has a daughter, she can wear it too!

Jo said...

She looked beautiful today and I am so impressed to learn about the dress! What a fabulous idea! Daisy will enjoy her special dress too--even if you get some help! You are a great mommy, Britt!

Anonymous said...

Honey, you did a beautiful job!! And Zoe just looked so sweet and lovely. What a wonderful thing you made (dress) and wonderful baby girl! Love you all so much!! xoxo

heidikins said...

This is so sweet, what a wonderful idea.

xox

Isabel said...

The dress turned out beautifully. I'm impressed.

And what a great idea.

My mom cut up a bunch of her clothes from high school and made me a pieced quilt when I was just a little kid. I used to love having her point out the fabrics and tell me about them. (Like the one made out of her old swimming suit, etc.) That quilt is falling apart now, but it's one that served a great purpose.

What I'm getting at is adult-Isabel would treasure having a blessing dress made out of her mom's wedding dress. You've done a great thing for Zoe.

And I can't wait to see Daisy's baptismal dress.

Janssen said...

How cool is that? And she is darling!

Lynsie said...

Beautiful job on the dress!!! Oh I wish we would have known when the blessing was. I would have loved to see her in her special dress in person. She looks gorgeous just like her momma!

Lynsie said...

Beautiful job on the dress!!! Oh I wish we would have known when the blessing was. I would have loved to see her in her special dress in person. She looks gorgeous just like her momma!