Sunday, February 17, 2013

This Week in Thrift Shopping

I have a bunch of blog posts stirring around in my brain right now, but I haven't been able to find the time to write them. There is the one I promised you about traveling to Disneyland by car that is currently "under construction." Then there is one about Lent that I decided to bag because Lent started last Wednesday, and Lent posts aren't cool in the middle of Lent (and I'm only going to post an end-of-Lent post if I do, in fact, succeed in my Lenten goals. Otherwise, I'll just be all, "I'm a Mormon! What's Lent?") There are also some thoughts I have on some books I've read recently - one being Heaven is Here by Stephanie Nielson, which has me thinking about a wide range of topics lately, including affluence and the LDS culture and our love for our bodies (and plane crashes, too, of course). I also have a post in mind about my preferences in infant car seats (you care, you really do).

But none of those is going to happen today.

(As a side note, I always stress out over whether to use "none of those is" and "none of those are," though they are both considered appropriate according to the extensive research I have done on the matter).

Instead, I am going to show you what I found at the thrift store this week:

Febryary 2013

What?!? Is that an old-school Polly Pocket wedding chapel?

You bet it is!

Febryary 2013

And a teeny tiny house with exquisite details? Like an itty bitty bed? And a kitty sprawled out on the rug? And a thick, old, non-flat-screen TV?

Why, yes. It's true! I found a box of original Polly Pocket houses (11 of them!!!) With people! (Not lots of people, but three, and you can totally staff a Polly Pocket city with three little Polly Pocket people. you just have to make sure no one eats them, ever, or you're doomed!!)

The reason these Polly Pockets are such an awesome find is because the modern-day Polly Pockets made by Mattel are nothing like the Polly Pockets made by Bluebird Toys when I was a kid. I started to think that I made them up. I even had to start asking my friends if Polly Pockets used to be small, little choking hazards that came in compacts or if I was crazy (they weren't sure).

(It's kind of like when I ask people if they remember the Snorks. No one knows what a snork is, but I swear... I did not make them up!!!)

So five dollars at a thrift store is a small price to pay to know that I'm not nutso.

4 comments:

Amy said...

I loved Polly pockets! I even had the two you did close ups of!

Kandi said...

I loved Polly Pocket and the Snorks (they are totally a thing)!!!

k said...

Daisy's face made me laugh out loud.

Melanie said...

Oh, I totally remember the Snorks. You know what else I remember, these little jewel cases where you could fold out a head and arms and legs so they looked like a doll, but then you could fold everything back in so it just looked like a jewel. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I have no idea what they were called.