Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Year of the Identity Crisis

For most of my life, the placemats in Chinese food restaurants informed me that I was born during the Year of the Rat. As a child I was always kind of sad to be a rat because a lot of my friends were born during the previous year, which was the Year of the Boar. This sort of thing mattered to me when I was ten-years-old and celebrating Chinese New Year at school. If only I had been born two and a half hours earlier, I could have been a boar like my friends!

Darn my New Year's birthday!


Recently I was joking with a friend about the Chinese zodiac. I had just learned that she was born the same year I was, and I made a comment about being happy that she was a rat and not a boar.

My friend, to my surprise, had never heard of the Chinese zodiac, so I ended up having to explain to her why I was calling her a "rat like me!" This resulted in some official google research to refresh my memory, and to my utter shock, after twenty-eight years, I found out that I am NOT a rat.

Dude.

What the Chinese food placemats failed to point out was that I was born before the Chinese New Year began in February, meaning that I?

Don't even know who I am anymore!

So here's to 2013: my first year as an informed boar!




[Source]

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Happy Birthday! To celebrate I think you should go ride that warthog at Walmart. Because boars and warthogs are related, after all.

Anonymous said...

I think a couple of years ago, they changed the dates on the Chinese Zodiac...or was that our astrological zodiacs? I'm confused. I think I'm a rat, too. But I should probably double check. I should also just delete this useless comment.