Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Time's a Flyin'

Why does it go like this?

Baby in the womb = time draaaaaaags

Baby out of the womb = Oh my heck! I almost have a one-month-old!!!

I've been feeling rather antsy lately about getting things documented. This phase of sweet newborn-ness is so short, and I want to remember it. I started working on writing Zoe's birth story (my journal version, not the internet version which you can find here), and every beautiful moment flowed freely through my brain, but then I got about half-way, and I haven't had the time to sit down and finish it. I know that I've already lost some of it. My hormones are getting more and more settled each day, and the details of giving birth aren't as available. I also wanted to write, in detail, about the first two weeks of Zoe's life - how blessed and incredible that time was as well as how trying it was. Sick kids, water heater going out, gigantic snowstorms, sibling rivalry, psychotic emotional breakdowns - all that good stuff that only seemed survivable because I had a little baby looking up at me like:

November 2012 

Ugh!

And pictures? Oh my goodness! I haven't taken nearly enough - a true sign of having a THIRD child. Almost every snap shot I have of Zoe is a blurry cell phone photo. 

Since time is flying by, and chances are, I'm not going to get to write everything down that I want to, here are a few sloppy highlights.

Daisy loves Zoe so much that I fear for Zoe's safety. She is the most smothered little sister of all time. The novelty has not worn off! Daisy wants to feed her, clothe her, hold her, burp her, change her diaper, bathe her, and pay her hospital bills. (Okay, maybe not that last one). Daisy will lay on top of her, pick her up and carry her, and feed her anything she can get her hands on when I'm not looking. I have to keep the baby within arms reach at all times.

November 2012

November 2012

November 2012

One of Daisy's favorite things to do for Zoe is to make sure that she has "friends."

November 2012

Zoe

November 2012

Nicky adores Zoe, too, but in a much different way. Mostly from afar. He will wave to her, talk to her, and make sure she isn't cold. He is very sweet and very "hands off" most of the time. You can tell, though, by the way he looks at her, that he adores her. Nicky has made some of the most hilarious comments since we had Zoe. I wish I could remember all of them. "Why does Zoe hibernate?" is the one that comes to mind. Zoe wore jeans one day, and Nicky said that he didn't like her clothes because they made her look like a kid instead of a baby. He often asks me why Zoe has such a big head. Yes, her head is in the 90th percentile, but it doesn't really look that big, so I don't know where he gets that from. 

Both Nicky and Daisy think that any day now, Zoe will be able to sit up, crawl, walk, or eat "real" food. I explain to them that she will learn to do those things while she's growing. They always think that means she will do those things tomorrow

Scotty is smitten by Zoe as well. Zoe made it eleven whole days before coming down with a cold, and Scotty has been very helpful taking night shifts holding Zoe upright to help her breathe.

Our car is certainly overcrowded. There is not an inch to spare! I dream of a mini van (no, really, I do) so the poor kids can have some space to breathe. BUT I love my car, and I'm going to keep it for a while longer. The biggest problem is that Zoe has to go in the middle, and that puts her next to Daisy, which is just plain dangerous. Daisy won't leave her alone in the car, and Nicky spends every drive we make yelling things like, "Mom! Daisy is covering Zoe's mouth!" "Mom! Daisy is touching Zoe's eyeballs!"

Seriously, folks? I should never leave the house. It's just not safe!

So... mini van. I needs one!

Well, that's about it for now. I didn't get to share everything I wanted, but I'm running behind in getting Nicky ready for school. Daisy is finger painting on the kitchen table with yogurt, and Zoe is laying in a pile of spit-up. 

I will leave you with my quick analysis of life with three kids:

There are always at least two that need you at any given time, and at least one of them is expressing that need in some form of screaming. 



4 comments:

Amy Sorensen said...

She is beautiful Britt! Beautiful!

And...I remember those three-in-the-backseat days. I managed for an entire six weeks before melting down and begging for a mini van. I thought I would hate it...but I still love mine!

Trisha said...

I hear ya on the "no spare room in the car". I've wanted a mini-van for so long too. We are going on almost 3 years with 3 in the backseat. When they change car seats you do get a little more room. I guess you can look forward to that in a year if you don't have a minivan by then. :)

Jana Lyn said...

9 months later, the novelty of our baby still hasn't worn off for Kate. Good luck. She's so darling though. The 3rd child, at least in our case, seems to really handle all the smothering pretty well.

Cheyenne and Seth and Co. said...

Your girls are so beautiful. Seriously. And Nicky is really cute too :)