Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Fathers' Day Weekend

Scotty had Friday off last week, so we got to have another long holiday weekend.

(We're spoiled, and we know it!)

We started off our long weekend by taking our kids on individual outings. I took Daisy to the zoo, and Scotty took Nicky to a water park. Then we met up for The Lunch That Made Me Cry.

You see, on Thursday night, my friend, Megan, ate a burrito in front of me at our sons' t-ball game. Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, but being the pregnant individual that I am, I was overcome by the aroma of that burrito, and I spent the following 18 hours daydreaming about burritos. For lunch on Friday, I wanted to go to Grocery Store A where there are bean and cheese burritos at the deli. I expressed this to Scotty, but when he pulled out of our driveway, for reasons I do not understand, he went the opposite direction. We stopped by McDonald's and got Happy Meals for the kids (yes, we'd been to McDonald's already that week, don't judge me!), which put us in a terribly inconvenient position, and I had to surrender and go to Grocery Store B, where Scotty said there would still be a bean and cheese burrito at the deli.

There were NOT bean and cheese burritos at Grocery Store B!

I should have recovered quickly and found something else, but instead I fought back tears and went into a panic. I didn't know what to do. I felt like an idiot, but I was genuinely devastated. I ended up grabbing a roast beef sandwich and speed walking to the register where I continued to try and hold myself together.

I am not a person who cries over burritos. I'm not. And yet... I am!!!


(I don't really even like burritos all that much!)

When I went back to the car, I tried to play it cool, but Scotty could tell I wasn't okay, so he offered to stop at the gas station on our way to the mountains so I could get a burrito. By then, I had taken a few bites of my disgusting roast beef sandwich, and the burrito window had closed.

(Wow! I did not intend for this post to be so burrito-centered!)

Anyway, the whole reason we were rounding up lunches and heading into the mountains was so we could spend the afternoon at the cabin. We met Scotty's brother there and did some manly stuff, like shoot guns...

Cabin

Go fishing...

Cabin

Cabin

And catch butterflies.

Cabin

On the way home we stopped for pizza and ice cream, which sort of made up for the burrito incident.

On Saturday, we cleaned up our house then took our kids to Grandma's so Scotty and I could go on a quick lunch date. 

(So maybe we eat out a lot...)

In the afternoon, I cut Scotty and Nicky's hair in the backyard.

(Random fact: their hair clippings itched my belly through four layers of clothing. Yes, four! There is a combination of being Mormon, being modest, and being pregnant that results in wearing way too many clothes in the summer).

That night we had our traditional Saturday Game Night (this week we played Settlers of Catan and Forbidden Island) complete with brinner.


On Sunday, I presented Scotty with his real Fathers' Day gift - a case of Southern Gold BBQ Sauce from his favorite restaurant in South Carolina (where he served his mission).

Day 2 - Maurice's

(We also got a new blender).

We went to church, like good little Mormons. Then we went to Scotty's mom's house for nachos and strawberry short cake (I didn't have to cook on Fathers' Day. It was awesome!)

That afternoon we went to the church parking lot with some of Scotty's step-brothers to teach our niece how to ride her bike without training wheels. It was a fun family event - Grandpa got to lay in the grass and watch a swarm of grandkids ride bikes together.

Later, we stopped by my dad's house for a visit, where my kids were transfixed by a dead fish in the lawn (which is preferable to the dead cat they found two days earlier).

To finalize our evening, we watched Mission: Impossible III.


We had an awesome weekend full of recreation, food, and dads with a healthy dose of Tom Cruise.

We have something very exciting in store for our next long weekend. I don't want to ruin future blog fodder by giving it all away now, but I can drop a few hints: mud, fire, and barbed wire.

Be intrigued, be very intrigued!

5 comments:

heidikins said...

You? Best Wife Ever.

I'm sorry Grocery Store B couldn't come through on the burrito. :(

xox

love.joy.lane said...

Foods I have cried over:
steak
baked potato
smoothie
fried chicken
bread

i am a food crier, especially when pregnant.

Cheyenne and Seth and Co. said...

I totally understand the burrito thing, it's amazing how unlike our real selves we are when we are pregnant. I love that you guys have a fun cabin to go to. I LOVE the picture of your cute pregnant belly that Nicky took. You really look beautiful. Seriously. And Daisy in the picture? Awesome. P.s. I don't see any reason why you would need to veto the name "Lister." You never know, it just might grow on you. And then you won't have to break his heart after all. P.P.S. good luck on the surgery, I'm also excited for you guys to have it over with.

Rhi said...

All I cared about when I was pregnant was this stupid chili cheese wrap from Sonic. Once, I went to Sonic and it was no longer on the menu! You better believe I cried! (I was still able to order it, btw)

k said...

When I was pregnant with Ezra, Boston Market forgot to include my mashed potatoes that I'd sent T out to procure. I cried.

All this to say, I understand your burrito sadness.