Monday, March 11, 2024

It’s Daylight Saving Time (and ten other random facts)

Fact #1: I try to use proper wording as often as possible in life. For example, I make sure to say “celiac” disease and not “celiacs” disease. 

“Groundhog Day” and not “Groundhog’s Day.” 

Young Women” and not “Young Women’s.” 

“Sisters-in-law” and not “sister-in-laws.”

The list goes on… but I just really want to say “daylight savings time” instead of “daylight saving time.” 

Fact #2: I also say “Legos” even though it’s incorrect, and each time I do so, I want to over explain my word choice even though no one really cares or even knows that the official stance of the LEGO company is that LEGO should only be used as an adjective. 

(Also, the amount of time I’ve spent going back and forth between LEGO and Lego in these last few sentences is utterly ridiculous). 

Fact #3: It’s 4:00 in the morning right now, and I’m wide awake contemplating solutions to all the world’s problems. I also have a toenail situation that is bothering me. 

Fact #4: When Chick-Fil-A first came to our area, I was always uncomfortable with how they would say “My pleasure!” It annoyed me because it sounded so unnatural. Now, several years later, it just feels normal, and it’s so expected that, if they say anything different, I don’t know how to react. 

Normally, at the drive through ordering box, they greet me with “It’s a great day at Chick-Fil-A… bla bitty bla bla…” but the other day, the gal came over the speaker and said, “When you’re ready…”

When I’m ready?

I was so confused by the lack of greeting… the incompleteness of the instructions… and the non-Chick-Fil-A-ness being presented that I thought maybe I’d misunderstood, so I said, “Pardon?” and she repeated, “When you’re ready…”

And that’s it! That’s all I got! I didn’t even know if it was a great day at Chick-Fil-A! 

As I approached the window, I was like, “I’ve got to see this person!” but I never did. Whoever served me at the window wasn’t the same person. Now I’m troubled with the knowledge of an employee at my local Chick-Fil-A gone rogue. 

Fact #5: Since I’m in my 40’s now…

(I fell asleep, and now it’s 7:00, and I have no idea what I was about to say right there).

Fact #6: I realized recently that I get embarrassed very easily. I’m not sure why I didn’t know this about myself already. But now I know, and I see where my daughters get it from. They, too, get embarrassed very easily, and they have some very painfully self-conscious moments. The things they get embarrassed about at their ages are very different from the things I get embarrassed about at my age, so I still have a hard time being sympathetic toward them sometimes. 

Fact #7: My calendar through the end of the school year is going to kick my butt. I’m going to have to be really “with it” to make it through. Every time I learn of another event to add to the schedule, I die a little inside. 

Fact #8: Nicky had jr prom over the weekend and was crowned Prom Prince, so that was kind of fun. He does not come from prom royalty stock, so we’re not sure how we ended up with a Prom Prince for a son. The Princess was his very good friend, Addie, so that was a joy! 

Nicky and his date

Fact #9: Nicky took a girl he has liked for a really long time. This was their first official date!

Fact #10: Scotty just got back from Brocation. This was the 7th time they’ve gone. The bros had a blast, but they are getting old!




1 comment:

love.joy.lane said...

Oh Nicky and his friend look amazing!
The end of the year panic is in full force here too. Just got an email for a 3rd grade music concert I wanted to curl into the fetal position.
I say LEGO right but I say the rest of those wrong... Please forgive me.