Sunday, August 20, 2023

It’s almost September! (and ten other random facts)

Fact #1: If I spill on my Sunday clothes before church, I just have to play it as it lies. There’s no time to address my own clothing by the time I have everyone dressed and fed and ready to leave. I pretty much always have something on my dress by the time I get to church. Last week it was lipstick. I dropped it, it hit my chest on the way down, and I just had to go with it. Today is still to be determined as I’m not in my Sunday clothes yet.

Fact #2: Eva likes to pick out my accessories.

Zoe gave me these earrings for Christmas, and yes, I do wear them when requested.

Fact #3: All of my babies have gone through phases where, out of desperation, I’ve had to put them in the car and drive around for hours to get them to sleep. I don’t have to do that anymore for sleep purposes, but now I have a kid who needs to be driven around listening to Diary of Wimpy Kid to keep calm. It dawned on me the other day that this practice is very familiar. 

Fact #4: The other day I did something I’ve been procrastinating for a while - I deleted all the people from my contacts who have passed away. There’s no reason to keep their info, but I’ve always felt weird about it, like deleting their phone numbers makes them more dead or something. I deleted both my grandmas, Scotty’s grandma, my friend Sandy, my brother-in-law Doug, my brother James, and a few people from my ward. I was a little surprised how many of my contacts had passed on. 

Fact #5: I am a very active dreamer. My mind is always buzzing, whether I’m awake or asleep (Scotty is the opposite. He never dreams). Lately I’ve been giving lectures in my dreams pretty regularly, so when I wake up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, I continue my speeches as I make my way to the toilet because I’m still incoherent, and I kind of believe, in those moments, that I’m a genius, and I need to preserve my work. The other night, my lecture was about not leaving taco meat in bowls overnight on the counter. My subconscious? She ain’t wrong. I’m just sayin.

Fact #6: I found Snoop cereal on clearance at Walmart last week, and when you find Snoop Dogg’s cereal on clearance, you have to get some. You just have to (kind of like when Snoop Dogg writes a cookbook, and you have to send a copy to your friends).

Fact #7: I’ve always wanted to collect Lego mini figures (see fact #7), and I’ve always had a crush on Robin Hood, so I was rendered speechless when Nicky recently announced that he had a gift for me, and he presented me with this:

Favorite son. No question.

Fact #8: Last week before school started, I was sitting in my backyard under a tree watching my kids play with water balloons, contemplating my promising future when my chair suddenly gave up on me.

I laid there staring up at the tree branches for about ten minutes before attempting to roll off the debris and upright myself. My pride? Hurt. My self-esteem? Lowered. My torso? Severely scratched and bleeding from the sharp plastic. 

Fact #9: Every morning when I wake up, I look like a washed up 80’s rockstar. 

Fact #10: Today I am officially giving up soda… again. It’s gonna be a long Sabbath without my post-church juice. 


No comments: