Monday, May 22, 2023

40x40 Update

As you've probably noticed, I’ve spent a lot of time this year discussing the fact that I will be turning 40 on my next birthday (January 1, 2024). 


Last fall I started working on a 40x40 project - a list of 40 things I want to do before I turn 40. Now, you need to understand that I am very boring. My list is not full of things like “Travel to Europe,” “Go skydiving,” or “Write a novel.” It’s more like, “Renew my Church magazines” (which I did this week, thankyouverymuch) and “Take my kids to the eye doctor” (Done!)

I thought I’d do a quick accountability post to discuss how I’m doing. I haven’t ever posted my list of 40 goals - I just reveal them as they are relevant. Here are the goals I’ve mentioned on my blog so far:
  • Make deviled eggs (done)
  • Read Atomic Habits (done)
  • Re-establish dish days for my kids (done)
  • Pay off our truck (done)
  • Add ten new healthy recipes to our meal rotation (5/10)
  • Get updated family photos (done)
Here are some goals I’m working on that will take the rest of the year:
  • Read 365 books with Eva (I’m at 108)
  • Play 500 songs on the piano (I’m at 166)
  • No soda for a year (140 days so far)
  • Read one “spiritual” book per month (I’ll post a list at the end of the year)
There are a few things I’m tracking - I don’t have specific goals other than to just track my habits:
  • Gospel study (I’ve studied 133/140 days)
  • Going out to eat (I’m definitely not reporting any numbers here)
  • Family Home Evening (here’s an honest moment - we’ve done FHE 4 times this entire year. I end up yelling at my kids every. single. time. we try to do FHE. It's basically Family Fight Night)
I have a few goals that aren’t easily measured:
  • Listen to more church music in the home (I made a "worship" playlist that I sometimes play in the kitchen)
  • Improve my fasting habits (no comment)
  • Keep my hair healthy (meh)
  • Drink more water (I do okay)
  • Prepare better for Christmas (we'll see...)
  • Take better care of my face and skin (I’m doing terrible at this)
  • Do more creative writing (haven’t even tried)
  • Pray with Zoe and Eva (sucking at this)
  • Improve some strained relationships (I should probably choose a few to target)
  • Be nicer to people (no comment)
There are some goals I’m going strong on and some that I’ve lost interest in. My momentum is definitely decreasing, but I decided even if I think I can’t (or won’t) finish a goal, I’m still going to at least keep working on them. Will I play 500 piano songs by the end of the year? Maybe not, but I might as well keep tracking it even though I’ve fallen way behind for where I should be mid year. 

My hope is to set myself up for success for the next decade of my life. I don’t know what I need to achieve in my 40’s, but I’d love to thrive. Time will tell.




No comments: