Monday, October 25, 2021

Weird, right?

I’m no stranger to weird days, but today was blog-worthy kind of weird.

Early this morning, my debit card was declined for “suspicious activity.” The activity in question? Buying fuel from a gas station I go to all the time! 

Weird, right?

While I was on hold waiting for the bank employee to see if he could resolve the issue, I kind of forgot what I was doing, and I started singing, “Trust in me,” like Kaa in the Jungle Book. 

Weird, right?

Right when I decided to take my creepy snake voice to the next level, the guy came back on and said, “Hello? Is this Brittany?” I had this moment of “Oh my gosh! What am I doing?” Singing like a snake into my phone while sitting alone in a parking lot probably isn’t normal.


My kids were out of school today. After running errands for a few hours, they hadn’t texted me at all.

Weird, right?

So I used Siri to text Nicky and see if he was awake (Zoe was the only one awake when I left home). A few minutes later, something felt a little off, so I looked at my phone and found that Siri had texted my neighbor down the street instead of Nicky. That’s the 3rd time in a week that I’ve texted the wrong person via Siri, and I rarely even use Siri! 

Speaking of annoying phone things, at one point today, my phone refused to acknowledge “van” as a word. It autocorrected to “can” three times. 

Weird, right?

At the grocery store today, I found a good deal on some flank steak. I bought two packages and sliced it up before freezing it so it’s ready to make Korean Beef Tacos (yum!) 

Now, we all know that there can be some disturbing things to behold when dealing with meat… cartilage, fat, grit, and whatnot. But this cut of flank steak had a big, old blood vessel in it, and when I sliced it, the blood vessel burst and shot blood all over me. There was some legit splatter up my arm.

Weird, right? 

After I cleaned up the scene of the crime, I started making lunch. I whipped up the meal of champions for my kids (Ramen) and then started making a Thai Crunch Salad for myself. I was trying to eat something healthy and wanted to give the recipe a go (one of my September goals was to try ten new recipes before the end of the year). 

When I made the dressing, it didn’t look quite how I expected. In the back of my mind, I thought the dressing had called for peanut butter, but I read through the ingredients, and didn’t see peanut butter. I coated the salad with dressing and then started eating it. It tasted very “healthy,” and was a little on the spicy side, and just… not what I hoped for. I don’t know why I looked back over the recipe, but I did, only to discover that the dressing did call for peanut butter! Half a cup, in fact! 

Weird, right?

I dumped the salad in a colander and let as much of the dressing run off it as I could. Then I put a scoop of peanut butter in it and blended it together and put it back on the salad. Unfortunately, I’d already forced a good portion of the salad down and didn’t really want any more. Plus, no matter what peanut butter solutions I attempted, the salad was already botched. So I tried a few bites and then fed the rest to the chickens. 

On that note, I have something to say about cabbage (one of the key ingredients of the Thai Crunch Salad). I feel like cabbage never-ending. Like when you chop cabbage… it just keeps going and going. You just chop and chop and chop and think, “How is it that I’m still chopping cabbage?” And you get the 2 cups you need for the salad and then you still have 8 cups of cabbage to figure out what to do with!

Weird, right?

This afternoon I got a text from Scotty asking me about a charm I’ve been trying to get for a necklace I earned two years ago for my Young Womanhood Recognition. I’ve been trying to find a gold Honor Bee for a year and a half (my bishop gave me the wrong color and the emblems are now discontinued). I’ve asked people on Facebook, and I’ve checked with several Young Women leaders and bishops in other wards as well as on eBay, but I haven’t been able to find one.

Scotty started his new job two weeks ago, but the guy he replaced just barely moved out of his office, so today Scotty was moving in and found a gold Honor Bee - still in its package - in his desk drawer. 

Weird, right?


That one actually makes me weepy. I've been hoping for that bee for a long time. 

No comments: