Tuesday, March 16, 2021

I wrote this blog post instead of taking a nap and I kind of regret it (and ten other random facts)

Fact #1: If you've been reading my blog for a while, you might remember that I tend to have a lot baking catastrophes. This past week has been a doozy. It started with rolls for a family event. I mixed up the first batch (a double recipe, of course, because I can't bake a single batch of anything... which might actually be part of my problem...), and something was wrong. The dough was super hard, and I’d put in way less flour than the recipe suggests! So I threw the dough in a garbage bag and started another batch, this time using a different recipe. The same thing happened! So into the garbage bag it went!

I gave it a third try and just held way back on the flour. There must have been something in the air that day... Luckily, third time's the charm! The rolls were great. 

Fact #2: Unfortunately, it was four days from garbage day, so the dough rose in the garbage can and came to life and roamed my neighborhood eating small children. 

Fact #3: The next baking catastrophe involved tres leches. I first tried this recipe, and it turned into something really lumpy and was only half an inch thick. I went over the recipe several times trying to figure out what went wrong to no avail. So then I tried this recipe, and it was amazing! Except for the part where I messed up the egg whites and had to crack and whip five new eggs. 

Again... third time's the charm. 

Tres attempts at tres leches!

Fact #4: But that's not all! Because Pi Day came along, and I tried to bake a pie... well... kind of. Not all the components of the pie were "baked," but there was still a problem. I accidentally left out the butter, salt, and coconut and vanilla extracts. 

I couldn't give the pie three tries because I didn't have enough ingredients or time. It was still yummy, though.

Fact #5: I'm thinking about starting a recipe blog.

(Just kidding).

Fact #6: I'm capable of talking about other things besides baking disasters. Like, today I found out my pharmacist quit. I went to get some prescriptions filled, and her picture was missing from the wall. I said to the tech, "Oh no! Is Kelli gone?" and she said, "Yes, she left a month ago."

And that was that. No more Kelli. 

I loved Kelli and feel slightly betrayed. 

Even though she always called me Heidi.

Fact #7: Today I had to have a weird lump cut open and drained at the doctor's office. It's in an embarrassing place on my body. I'll just let your imagination run wild with that. 

Fact #8: I'm a little bummed that I couldn't see what came out of the lump. I almost asked to see the gauze, but then I was like, "No, Britt. Don't be gross."

(This reminds me of when Zoe's tonsils hemorrhaged, and she was spitting out blood clots, and all the medical staff kept asking us to show them the clots. It was so much fun to be able to show off the gross stuff! "Take a look at this!")

(Too much?) 

Fact #9: I'm thinking about starting a "gross stuff" blog.

(Just kidding).

Fact #10: If the doctor cuts you, you get Chick-Fil-A for lunch. It's a rule. 

1 comment:

love.joy.lane said...

Now I must make tres leches... Why did you have to do that?!?