Sunday, April 7, 2019

First Quarter Books

I decided to try something new this year and do a blog post at the end of each quarter to share some of the books I've enjoyed. Key word: some. So far I've read 18 books in 2019, and I've liked most of them (that's not always the case). For this quarter, I chose four to share.

The first is Refugee by Alan  Gratz.


This book is recommended for ages 8 & up, however, I know I'd never be able to get my 12-year-old to read it (that boy and his distaste for reading... in so many ways, he is just like me, but he hates reading. I can't fault him for it, though because I didn't like reading until I was in my 20's. So I guess, in this way, he is definitely still my kid).

Refugee tells the stories of three young refugees from three different eras: Josef in Nazi Germany in the 1930's, Isabel in Cuba in 1994, and Mahmoud in Syria in 2015.

I wouldn't consider this a "page turner," in fact, it feels like required reading for school, but it's very well-done and important. It shares some of the tragic realities of trying to seek refuge through fleeing one's home. The three stories from different time periods help illustrate that we are not as far removed from these problems as we may sometimes feel. It is a reality of the past and a reality of the present, and it's shared at a level that's appropriate for a younger audience

The stories of Josef and Mahmoud were particularly hear-wrenching for me because these young boys reminded me of my own son, and I couldn't help but imagine him in their place.

The next book is Columbine  by Dave Cullen.


I don't really know how to give a synopsis of this book. It's a non-fiction piece about Columbine, as you might guess from the title. Written in 2009, it could use some updating in regards to things that have happened in the past ten years, but I feel it's well-done and offers several corrections to information that was fueled by the media. 

What happened at Columbine was absolutely horrific and beyond my ability to imagine. I don't have any answers for how to solve or prevent the problem of mass violence (likewise, I don't have the answer for refugees), and that makes me feel helpless and frustrated. 

I was in junior high when the massacre at Columbine took place, and reading this book gave me the opportunity to reflect on my understanding of what happened and how it affected the remainder of my high school years. A lot of the things my peers and I believed about the tragedy were not accurate. 

My third book is Scythe by Neal Shusterman.


It's been a long time since I ventured into a YA novel. Scythe is the first book in the Arc of the Scythe series. Book two, Thunderhead, has been published, and the third will be published later this year. 

(I have read Thunderhead, and for a quick review, I will say that it had a lot of transitional content leading to the third book. I didn't enjoy it as much as Scythe, so my review is really dependent on that third book. This has the potential to be a stellar series, but it could also crash and burn. No pressure, Shusterman).

Scythe ventures into a world that has been "perfected." There is no disease, no poverty, and no natural death. In this society, death is brought about by scythes who must meet a killing quota to keep the population under control. Two teenagers, Citra and Rowan, are selected to serve as scythe apprentices, but only one of them will be granted the title of scythe. 

This book is macabre without being overly gory. It had some depth and quality that really made me think. What is the purpose of death? What right do we have to stop it or cause it? 

The last book I'll share today is Silent Souls Weeping by Jane Clayson Johnson.


This book is directed toward members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. It's a collection of various experiences of Church members who have suffered from depression and other mental illnesses. 

I didn't expect to be as touched by this book as I was. This is not a book to fix depression but to contribute to understanding. Johnson shares her own experience with depression as well as stories from many others. Some of those stories are uplifting and full of hope. Others are very heavy, and I have to admit, make me feel fear. But I appreciate the realistic approach to discussing depression. Sometimes there are important things a person can learn through suffering mental illness. Other times there are tragedies that leave us wondering if there's anything we could have done. The important thing is that we all develop compassion and understanding toward one another. 

In this book, I found my own story, and I also found the story of dear friend. There were other stories that made me weep for people who have suffered in ways I haven't. Suffice it to say, I cried a lot, but it was good crying. 

1 comment:

Mama B said...

These all sound very interesting but I don't think I can handle any of them. Too emotional. I know I'm a big baby.