Friday, June 29, 2018

I'd Do Anything for Love, but I Won't Do That

When Scotty was young, he bought the Meat Loaf CD with the song, "I'd Do Anything for Love." (He got in trouble when his mom found out it has an explicit lyrics warning on it). Scotty loved and still loves that song, but I'm not a fan of his Meat Loaf (nor his Neil Diamond) impression.

At night time, I insist on sleeping with three pillows, like so:

(Although I did make one doodling error- my bottom leg should be straight and not under the pillow).

It's a big deal, and it makes traveling hard because I can't really take three pillows camping, and I can't always have three pillows at a hotel. At home, though, I have to have my three pillows.

The other night, Scotty and I were nestling into our bed for the night, and part of the ritual includes dividing the pillows between us. Scotty sleeps with one regular pillow and a body pillow, so we have to make sure we each have the pillows we need before we doze off. Sometimes this results in some rearranging and negotiating. Our kids frequently steal our pillows to make birds' nests, so it's a normal thing for one of us to ask the other, "Do you have an extra pillow over there?" Our pillow inventory is always messed with. That night, Scotty asked if I had an extra pillow on my side. I looked on the floor, and there was one there, so I threw it at him (another bed time ritual is that if we need to pass a pillow to the other person, we do so by lovingly hitting them in the face with it). Then Scotty said, "Wow! Did you just sacrifice one of your pillows for me?" (because he didn't see that I'd picked it up of the floor).

I said, "Psht! No!"

And then I began to sing in my best Meat Loaf voice...

"I'd do anything for love... but I won't do that!"

Because I love him dearly, but I will not surrender one of my pillows. I will fold a blanket and stick it in a pillowcase for him. I will steal a pillow from under a kid's head while they sleep, but I will not give Scotty one of my three.

No. I won't do that!

1 comment:

love.joy.lane said...

I never understood pillow importance until I hit 30... After 30, pillows really matter.