Wednesday, September 14, 2016

School Struggles

I've come to the conclusion that the universe doesn't want me to finish school.

My semester started on Monday, and every time I try to do school work, something legit gets in the way. I'm not talking Netflix or daydreaming (those things get in the way later in the semester, but not the first week!) I'm talking Murphy's Law type stuff.

Take this morning, for example. I woke up at 5:00 to get started on some statistics stuff (heaven help me!) The second I got my laptop open, Eva started crying. Thus began a cycle of me sitting down, opening the lap top, Eva crying, me going into her room to tuck her in and give her a pat-pat-pat, me going back downstairs, opening my laptop, Eva crying again, me going back upstairs... Four times. FOUR TIMES!

Finally, I gave her a bottle, came back to the laptop, and opened it up only to find that it had 10% battery life, so I had to go back upstairs to plug it in.

Yesterday I sat down to do a little homework in the morning (all of my children were awake, so the odds were already against me) when Zoe fell and hit her mouth on a chair. There was blood. And a fat lip. Then after that got settled, I tried again, and that's when my stomach flu kicked in so it became a cycle of opening my laptop and running to the bathroom.

The day before that, I had three hours with only Eva home. ONE CHILD. Surely I could get something done with only ONE CHILD at home. But no... she climbed in my lap repeatedly and hit the keyboard, and when I tried to keep her at a safe distance, she would then reach out with her foot and tap the keys with her little pointed toe. I tried every number of toys and snacks to keep her busy, but the most time she would give me was three minutes, and there's not a lot that can be accomplished in three minutes. Plus, she wanted to hand feed me her snacks, so I sat at the kitchen table trying to read my course syllabus while Eva hovered over me and shoved tortilla chips in my mouth five at a time.

It's going to be a long semester!

No comments: