Saturday, May 28, 2016

Carpet and Currently {May 2016 Edition}

It's 6:00 on Saturday morning, and I've been awake since about 5:00. I tried to go back to sleep, but I haven't been able to sleep in this week. Something in me is wide awake, but not in the "motivated" sort of way that results in me getting out of bed and being productive. It's more in the "I'm awake early, so I have an extra hour to be lazy before my kids wake up" sort of way.

Eventually, I came to terms with not being able to go back to sleep, so I rolled out of bed and started wandering the house in the dark. That's when I realized that I have nowhere to go. My kids are sleeping in the living room since their bedrooms are torn apart. There's a kid and a sleeping husband in my room, and the baby is right next door. I can't lollygag around the kitchen or sit on the couch, or I'll wake up the living room kids. I can't go upstairs or I'll wake up the baby kids... or the husband.

Normally I wouldn't be so considerate of my husband, but he worked from 4:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. all week and then came home and worked on the kids' bedrooms until 9:00 p.m. so the guy is pretty tired. Plus he's sick with some sore throat/possible ear infection deal, and he should really go to the doctor, but he won't (don't get me started...) So my whole point is, I'm sitting on bare cement in a freshly painted room because I have nowhere better to go whilst the people sleep. Hopefully the exposed tack strips don't poke me in the bum!

Our new carpet is coming today, and the bedrooms are ready for it. This is so exciting! I've never purchased carpet before, so this is an entirely new experience for me. It makes me feel so adult, especially since I went to the carpet store all by myself (+ 4 kids) and made lots of big decisions by myself and booked the carpet installer by myself and made a down payment all by myself. Scotty wasn't involved at all (which he is fine with). This feels like a huge triumph for me because I don't do "new things" well, particularly new things that involve a salesman.

I'm not sure that I intended for this post to be about the carpet, but it is sure turning into that. Quick! I must change topics before I write ten more paragraphs about carpet (which I could totally do because I love to overprocess life events - like buying carpet).

Here's what I'm currently up to (in addition to carpet stuff):

Reading: nothing for fun, but tons for school.

Watching: Endeavour at the rate of approximately 1/4 episode per day (I've watched it before and decided to watch it again. I had dreams of staying up late and binge watching, but then my kids took over the living room, so the TV is a little off limits for now).

Painting: a bed, a dresser, and book shelves for the kids' rooms.

Wearing: exercise clothes because, believe it or not, I intend to exercise at 6:45.

Learning: how to stop complaining. I have a relapse yesterday, but I'm back on the horse today (it helps that it's only 6:20 a.m. and I've yet to make contact with another human being).

Looking forward to: the dozen donuts I intend to buy for game night tonight. One of these days, I'll figure out how to eat healthy and exercise consistently, but until then, I'll just keep up with my sporadic efforts and gluttony. Did I mention there will also be pizza?

Dreading: temperatures over 75 degrees.

Procrastinating: all things homework-related. I skipped an assignment this week because I just couldn't bring myself to do it. The assignments in that class are ridiculous. They go a little bit like this:

1. Answer this question that doesn't make sense.

2. Answer this question that is a re-phrasing of question #1.

3. Define this term that is not in your text book. Try Googling - I dare you! You will find that this term does not exist in the internet world, and you will highly suspect that the course designer made it up. Nay, you will know that the course designer made it up because, if Google can't find it, it isn't a "thing."

Happy about: returning to healthy hair. After I had Eva, I lost quite a bit of hair, and about two months ago, my hair still looked so frail and unhealthy. I decided that if I couldn't get it looking better within three months, I would chop it off (which I really didn't want to do because I don't like short hair on me, but I didn't see any point in continuing to have long hair if it looked so awful). I bought some hair vitamins and a hair product that claimed to help with breakage and restoration. I'm surprised, but it actually looks a lot better! It's on the mend! I can keep my hair!

And thus ends my random morning post for the day. It's time to go pretend to exercise!

1 comment:

Feisty Harriet said...

Yay hair vitamins! Yay new carpet! Boo lame course designer who is clearly making stuff up!

xox