Monday, January 11, 2016

I could really benefit from some Disneyland therapy right now (and ten other random facts)

Fact #1: There's a pretty good chance that my blog banner and my facebook profile picture are going to reflect Christmas until June-ish. At least I'm being intentional about it. Laziness is not truly laziness when it's planned.

(Riiiiight?)

Fact #2: I recently discovered that my hair is turning gray. In fact, I learned this truth on the eve of my birthday. I'm a little stunned. I realize that many people my age have a few gray hairs, but I honestly thought it wasn't going to happen to me.

Fact #3: I don't know yet how I feel about having gray hair. It doesn't bother me, necessarily, but I do worry that people are staring, and I am the type of person who will likely yell, "Stop looking!" out of paranoia when a person is not actually staring at my gray hair, and then things will be awkward between us for the rest of our lives.

Fact #4: I have every right to think people are staring at my gray hair because I ran into someone I hadn't seen since high school a few months ago, and I stared at her gray hair.

Fact #5: Speaking of things I'm paranoid of, I don't dare to use to the bathroom in the morning because I don't want my kids to wake up.

Fact #6: I've been "holding it" since 5:00 a.m.

(It's now 7:08, and my kids are still asleep. It is very rare for them to sleep past 6:30, so this is beautiful).

(I really need to go to the bathroom).

(I have to wake them up at 7:30 at the latest, so I only have to hold it for 22 more minutes).

Fact #7: I should have known that the second I typed that, kids would start waking up.

(7:13 a.m.)

Fact #8: I normally cope okay with winter, but this year things have been a little rough. My kids' anxiety is through the roof right now, and I think it's because of how dark it is. Their anxiety is triggering my anxiety, and as a result, our house is a psychological mess. We can handle the cold, but we need daylight.

Fact #9: This semester I am taking a public speaking class, and I have to come up with ten speech topics (5 informative and 5 persuasive) this week which I will then narrow down to one of each. I'm supposed to pick topics I'm passionate about. I can't think of a single topic. Where is my passion?

Fact #10:  STOP LOOKING!

 

3 comments:

Feisty Harriet said...

Ha! I have had grays for a while, but they luckily blend in nicely with my natural ashy-blonde undertones. That being said, the grays that are in, erm, other areas? Those are giving me all sorts of panicky moments.

(Yep. Gray hairs on my Oooh-la-la.)

xox

Sus said...

Seems to me you have several good topics right there:
- anxiety, i.e.
- SAD (seasonal affective disorder)
- strategies for counteracting anxiety
- challenges of light sleepers
- changing a light sleeper to a deep sleeper
- coming to terms with aging

Catherine Buhler said...

^^^^^^ I agree with Sus those are great topics. For my informative I did traveling on a budget and my persuasive I did vaccines. A word of advice: I did vaccines because I AM passionate about it but also it was something I had just researched in another class and I had already retained a lot of info for it. That speech is a ______ so pick something that you already know a lot about, how about something you just learned in one of your family and marriage classes? xoxo