Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Drowning

I'm not emotionally stable right now, nor have I been for a while. Things just aren't so peachy these days. I'm struggling. "Drowning" is the term that comes to mind. In fact, tonight for my public speaking class, I'm doing a speech that I based on Jim Gaffigan's quote about having four kids:

I'm pretty sure my face is going to look just like his while I'm giving the speech. 'Cause that's how I feel.

At any given moment, I am on the brink of tears. Here are some things that have the potential to make me cry (again) today:
  • Having to change another Amoxicillin-induced diarrhea diaper 
  • Anyone asking me for food (lunch has happened - no one needs food. Stop telling me you're hungry!)
  • Having to fight Zoe to get her to go to preschool (we decided to take today off due to a minor cough, which was a huge relief because she refuses to get in the car EVER, and she's the worst about going to preschool. I would just take her out of preschool, but she is there for speech therapy, which she desperately needs).
  • One more battle with Nicky about wearing shorts to school. The rule is that he can wear shorts if it's going to be 45 degrees or warmer. Every day he puts on shorts. Every day I define the rule AGAIN. Every day he has a complete melt down and tells me that I just don't understand, and my skin is different than his skin.
  • The baby hitting the keyboard or crumpling my paper while I'm doing homework.
  • Another vomiting episode. You know when your baby has mucous in her throat and she coughs until she pukes? Then you wash the car seat cover she spewed all over, and ten minutes after you reassemble the car seat, she coughs and throws up all over it again? I have a photo, but I'll spare you.
  • Someone showing up unexpectedly. I can't let anyone in my house right now. 
  • Being asked for money. My kids have been begging for $60 for the past week. I told them exactly what they would need to do to earn $60 and how long it will take, and they aren't willing to do it, so NO! You don't get $60, and NO! You don't get to ask Grandma. 
  • Anyone needing a bath. They have been bathed already. I can't do it again today.  
  • Another phone call from someone who wants to know how many miles are on Scotty's Honda Accord. You know, the car he's owned NEVER, and this isn't even Scotty's phone number, and I know Scotty didn't give you this number to inquire about life insurance so leave us alone!
  • Anyone arguing with me, looking at me wrong, or giving me advice I didn't ask for. 
 I'm on the fritz, folks. On the fritz!

5 comments:

Feisty Harriet said...

Hugs. I'm so sorry. I know the drowning feeling, but not drowning with four kids...I cannot even imagine.

So, hugs. Hugs, hugs, hugs.

xox

BerlyCrow said...

Sounds like I need some Zoe time. Or rather, you need some non-Zoe time. Or both. I'm trying for a weekday since I imagine that helps the most but I'm in Dallas this week and slammed next. What about Thursday nite to Friday? I could take her to school or whatever on Friday. Will that help at all? I know it'll help me. :)

Who wanna $60? I'm not Grandma. Can I give it to them?

BerlyCrow said...

*wants $60

Lindz said...

Oh Lordy. I feel for you! I feel on the brink as a teacher with two youngins at home but then I remember that there are brave souls like you out there and I buck up. However, 3.5 year old boys are frankly, awful.

Amy Sorensen said...

Big hugs, Britt. I really feel for you. It is never easy being the mom. You are doing a fantastic job!

I had that wearing-shorts argument with Kaleb when he was in third grade. All. The. Time. Once fourth grade came around, I said "to hell with it." I decided that if he wants to wear shorts, and if he gets cold, it'll be his problem. In 4th grade he wore pants twice. This year he has worn them once. In fact, this year he has a bet going with three other friends about who can wear pants the fewest days in fifth grade. lol.

HANG IN THERE! You are awesome!