Thursday, May 7, 2015

Where They Went Wrong

For a while now, I've had some thoughts brewing that I have felt I should put into a blog post, but I haven't quite been able to articulate what I want to say. I have the impression that someone, somewhere needs to read this. That is not to boast, nor to attribute anything wonderful to myself, it is only to say that I feel this needs to be shared, even if it is only for one person out there to stumble across and benefit from.

I have always been fascinated by and curious about families. When a couple gets divorced, I want to know why. It's not that I want the "hot gossip" or the "inside scoop." I'm just genuinely interested in why marriages and families succeed or fail. I want to know why a couple who has been married for thirty years finally decides to split up. Mostly, I want to know if Scotty and I are anything like that couple. Is there something in our marriage that I can't see? Something that would eventually bring us to the point of divorce?

Likewise, for many years, I have observed families whose children stray from the values they were brought up with, and I have seen the devastation this brings the parents. Particularly religious families. As a religious person, there are many values I hope my children will take with them through adulthood. They have their agency to choose or deny those values, of course, but it is my ultimate goal to raise children who will live the same values I do (hopefully they'll improve upon them).  I hope that my children will serve missions, wait until they are married before having sexual relations, refrain from drinking alcohol or doing drugs, get a college education, and live an honest and good life, in general. Some of those values are frowned upon in today's society, and I know there will be people reading this who thinking I am close-minded or judgmental. There's not much I can say to convince you otherwise, but I will say that it's okay if your values differ from mine. We can still be friends. I don't look down on you or think you're "bad." I also know that my children might not choose to live my values, and while I might be disappointed, I will still love and cherish them.

When I have seen families who have children who stray from their values, I have always wondered where did they go wrong? I'm not intending to be judgmental, but I want to know what triggered the straying so I can know if Scotty and I are leading our children in that same direction. I've always been especially curious about the families who have seemingly done everything "right" - the ones who have always been great examples of Christ-like service and who have followed all the counsel of the prophets. They had family home evening, daily prayer and scripture study, and the whole bit! Where did they go wrong? I've also been guilty of looking at families who haven't "done everything right" and assuming I have the right to say where the foul up was.

A while ago, I read a book called Drawing Heaven into Your Marriage by H. Wallace Goddard. In this book, Goddard recounted an experience of Carlfred Broderick, an LDS psychologist and family therapist. Broderick was serving as stake president when he was called upon to give a blessing to a woman who appeared to bring family misery upon herself by her choice in husbands. She had married in the temple, and shortly after, her husband left the Church. He ended up luring all four of their children into his "faith-deprived lifestyle." During the blessing, Broderick discovered, through revelation from the Lord, that this woman "had chosen to take these trials as part of her covenant to rescue some of God's children who would struggle in mortality."

Broderick shared this story in a BYU Women's Conference address entitled "The Uses of Adversity," which you can read here. He explained of this woman, "She... had signed up for hard children, for children who had rebellious spirits but who were valuable; for a hard husband who had a rebellious spirit but who was valuable. The Lord alluded to events in her life that I hadn't known about...I repented. I realized I was in the presence of one of the Lord's great noble spirits, who had chosen not a safe place behind the lines pushing out the ordnance to the people in the front lines as I was doing, but somebody who chose to live out in the trenches where the Lord's work was being done, where there was risk, where you could be hurt, where you could lose, where you could be destroyed by your love. That's the way she had chosen to labor."

It was probably common for people to look at this woman and think where did she go wrong? They would probably then identify her husband and assume she shouldn't have married him. Surely her children wouldn't have strayed if she hadn't married that man! But no one really knows that. People might have also thought that she raised her children too permissively or that she didn't teach them correct principles. Are those assumptions true? We can never know. The point is, it's very possible that the answer to "Where did she go wrong?" is "Nowhere. She did exactly what the Lord needed her to do."

This story completely changed the way I think about wayward children. I no longer wonder where the parents "went wrong." I now look at them and think of the special task they have been given, and I remember that God has orchestrated our lives to a greater extent than we realize.

5 comments:

Melanie said...

I cringe a little inwardly when parents say with pride that all of their children have gone on missions, married in the temple, and are active in the church - with a tone that this is a reward for their own righteousness. Of course I totally understand why parents would be happy and even proud of this, but I also can't help but think of all of the many wonderful, faithful parents who have a child or children who have chosen to live their lives differently.

We're taught in the scriptures that blessings are predicated upon obedience to laws, but I think sometimes we take that a little TOO literally. God is not a cashier who exchanges our good works and obedience for blessings. Everything that we receive or don't receive in this life is intended to help us to become more like God and/or to enable us to help our brothers and sisters know of God's love.

Unknown said...

This is beautiful. Truly made me think differently.

Unknown said...

This is Jessica by the way

Feisty Harriet said...

I have a lot of thoughts about this. But I want to share an example from my own family that completely has shaped how I view this whole idea.

My brother and his fiance, K., broke up, then she found out she was pregnant, with twins. She and my brother had no intention of getting married, they had already decided NOT to get married, in fact (see timeline above). My Mom and her Bishop brother wrote letter after letter to my brother about how marriage was required and the only way to salvage this terrible situation, and my Mom event went so far as to say that my bro and K should definitely give up their parental rights to her--my Mom--so the kids would be raised in a good home with proper Christian values.

My Dad, on the other hand, called K two or three times a week, when she was put in the hospital at 20 weeks because her babies were trying to march themselves out of her belly he went to visit her twice a week, just for 15 minutes or so, nothing invasive or intrusive. He brought her flowers or her favorite snack (and took the time to figure out what those favorites were). After the babies were born--at 27 weeks--and were in the hospital for months and months, my Mom continued to lecture about Christian values and family values and how my brother and K were not adhering to them, while my Dad continued to call and make short visits, just so K knew he cared and so that she knew that if she ever got stuck or needed anything he was available and willing to help out in any way he could.

(Fast forward 12 years, my brother and K started dating again, they eventually moved in together and got married.)

When I look back at this experience in our family and see how differently my (divorced) parents handled themselves during that time, I can't help but think that my Dad exhibited the truly Christ-like behavior, and my Mom was yelling and screaming for all the wrong reasons.

I use this as a guiding example for a lot of my own behavior, I try to be more like my Dad, accepting and loving for its own sake, caring and kind to humans despite anything else. Open and genuine because that is the right thing to do, not because a scripture or a conference talk or a seminary teacher said that "you should be nice to unmarried pregnant women, even though it's clear they have sinned and made questionable life choices."

Anyway, I don't know if this exactly relates to your post, but it's what came to my mind immediately. Who cares what other people think of your parenting abilities based on the religious activity of your children, it's so much more important that your children think you were a kind and loving, Christ-like parent.

xox

Feisty Harriet said...

Um, that's a huge comment. Sorry/Not Sorry.

xox