Saturday, August 22, 2026

Backstreet's Back (Alright!)

A few months ago I got a text from my childhood best friend turned sister-in-law saying that her husband (my brother-in-law, try to stay with me here) wanted to buy us Backstreet Boys tickets for Mother’s Day! We found a date in August for four of us - Michelle, Lynsie, Amber, and me - to go. Lynsie’s brother owns a home in Vegas, and he let us stay there, so we had an amazing girls’ trip this past weekend. We are all tired, old ladies who just needed a little break from life, so we took it easy (other than the Backstreet Boys part) and spent the weekend eating good food and lounging by the pool. 


Here are some thoughts from our Backstreet Boys experience:

Thought 1: Our seats were on the very back row of the Sphere, and I didn't hate it! In fact, I would seek out those seats again for another event. Since most of the Sphere experience is the projections on the screen, I don't know if it really matters if you're closer to the stage or not. It was nice not having anyone behind us, there was a little ledge behind our seats where we could put our stuff (instead of on the floor under our seats, and we entered from the top so we didn't have to go up the stairs to get to our seats. 

Party on the back row

Thought 2: Everyone there looked so ridiculous, but it was amazing. I just felt so happy for everyone living their best lives! I wish we'd gotten to the Sphere just a little bit early to watch people (I love people watching. In fact, I would say that people watching and eavesdropping are two of my favorite past times). 

Thought 3: Since everyone is dressed in white, it's hard to find your friends when you get separated in the crowds. In hindsight, I'd slap a glowstick on everyone or make they wear something flashy that stands out. 

Thought 4: It really does feel like you're in a cult! We parked at Treasure Island and walked through the Venetian and into the Sphere, and I loved how as we got closer and closer to the venue, we began joining with more cult members. It started with a few people in white, and as we progressed toward the event, the white got thicker and thicker until we were all marching toward the arena in unison. 

Thought 5: The funniest part of the cult experience is seeing everyone going up the escalators in the Sphere dressed in white like they are all ascending to heaven (that's one of the good parts about having seats at the highest level, we made it to the top of heaven. Very few of us made it that far!

Heading up the escalators

Thought 6: This was my first time attending a "residency" performance. Between that and the venue, it felt a little different than any concert I've ever been to. I started to think of it as more of a "show" than a "concert." There were no live instruments and no encore. I was bummed there wasn't an encore because I feel like that's part of the experience - pretending the Backstreet Boys went away but then having them come back out and sing one last, epic song! They didn't give us that. 


Thought 7: I took a hand fan, and I was so glad I did because I was so hot and sweaty. Plus it came in handy when we got crop dusted.

Rough moments

Thought 8: Some of the graphics were wiggety wack. Who made those artistic choices? 

Nothing really prepares you for the Backstreet Boys mountain

Thought 9: The beginning of the show was awesome. I felt like I was on a Disneyland ride (something between Star Tours and Space Mountain. I kept saying, "Whoaaaaaa!" 

Thought 10: The show was so much fun, and it was a blast to get to return to an old era of my life. I danced and sang my heart out to Backstreet Boys all through junior high and high school (as well as other boys bands - I didn't know that we were supposed to choose a camp between NSYNC and Backtsreet Boys. I loved them all!) It was great seeing everyone embrace the era and have a great time!

How old are they anyway?

Go team!



No comments: