Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Of Tattoos and Backpacks

I don't know a lot about tattoos. I don't have any. But I'm often curious, when I see people's tattoos, why they picked the one(s) that they did. Sometimes it's obvious - it's their child's name or the image of something their fanatical about (Star Wars or something). Other times it's a giant tiger or a naked lady, and I'm like, "Why that?" 

One thing I learned recently is that sometimes it's not about the image, it's about the artist. Some people just want to be inked by a specific tattooist, and they don't care so much about what the actual tattoo is. They're just like, "I am honored to be your canvas!" That was kind of surprising to me because in any tattoo-related daydreams I've had, I've always had the pressure of choosing my imaginary tattoo. It never occurred to me to turn it over to the artist. I'm such a control freak that I'd never let another person choose my tattoo, and I'd probably take over the tattoo gun anyway. 

As I go around society and see tattoos all over the place, I always want to ask people about them. Especially the weird ones. But I never do. 

I also want to ask everyone about their Loungefly backpacks. Because, like tattoos, everyone sports a unique Loungefly backpack that's part of their identity. Sometimes it's obvious, "Oh that person must love The Little Mermaid or Star Wars," (always with the Star Wars). But other times, there's some weird one that makes me go, "Why that one?" The weirdest ones, to me, are things like Stitch dressed as Obi-Wan Kanobi or all the Winnie the Pooh characters, but their heads are balloons. I want to know what sort of round table discussions the designers are having:

"Who has an idea for another backpack?"

"I know! Let's take the characters from Toy Story but have them flying in front of Big Ben like Peter Pan. It will be the ultimate mash-up!"

"Yes! Genius! Make it happen!"

And somehow there's a market for that... 

So just like with the tattoos, I want to go around asking everyone about their Loungefly backpacks. What made you invest $60-90 for that particular piece? And... how many of these backpacks do you own? Because some people own one - it is thee backpack. But others own a collection, and after spending a really long time hunting for my Loungefly backpack, I can see how ownership can get out of hand. They are expensive and silly, but they are also a whole lot of fun. 

Behold... my backpack:*


So why this backpack?

First of all, Robin Hood is my guy. I've loved Robin Hood since I was a toddler. "Maid Marian, will you marry me?" is my favorite romantic line from a movie. 

But secondly, this backpack was one of the most inexpensive ones I could find. 

As we prepared for our Disney World trip last fall, I spent the better part of the year looking at Loungefly backpacks and considering buying some for my girls and me. I went back and forth for months. I watched the sales at Hot Topic and filled my cart a number of times and then didn't buy any. Then a few weeks before our trip, I filled another cart and actually hit submit! I let each of my girls pick a backpack from the ones on sale (I think the cheapest one I bought was $22 and the most expensive one was $35, which actually isn't too bad, plus we got "Hot Cash" back on our purchase which allowed us to buy Daisy another Loungefly backpack a few weeks later for her birthday) (Daisy owns three - Steamboat Willie, Lion King, and Chip 'n Dale. Eva picked Bambi and Zoe picked Meeko and Flit from Pocohontas). 

So what does my backpack say about me? I like Robin Hood, and I'm cautious with my money. So if I ever get a tattoo, perhaps it should be an arrow that I draw myself with a tattoo gun I purchased from the DI.


*Technically I own two, but one was gifted to me, and Daisy took it over as her own and absolutely loves it, so I've surrendered it.



1 comment:

love.joy.lane said...

I had never heard of loungefly backpacks... Thanks for the education. And Robin is such a fox!