Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Things we did over Christmas break (so far...)

Saw Spies in Disguise 

Dumb movie but worth enduring to get out of the house. I spent most of the movie telling Eva to keep her feet to herself and brainstorming genius ideas about my life that will never come to fruition.



Fought crime

On Christmas Eve my mom and my brother came to my house in the middle of the night  to get my step-dad's gift out of our garage (I'm now realizing that the time stamp on our security cameras is not correct - we should probably fix that for our crime-fighting benefit). I figured it would look awfully suspicious, so I let my neighbors know not to be alarmed. It didn't help that my brother showed up in dark clothes with a hood on.

Not an actual crime. 

A few days later we fought some real crime. Scotty and my neighbor (whose name happens to be Scottie - weird, right?) went chasing a guy with a baseball bat while I went back and forth from window to window in my house watching and taking pictures - just in case.

Actual crime

It's always after the fact that Scotty realizes how dangerous and stupid it is to chase criminals. But when his adrenaline is pumping, he can't be convinced otherwise. 


Made vegetable art


I made a veggie tree for a family Christmas party. I did it because I thought it was funny and over the top, and in my own heart, I was mocking all the ridiculous, Pinterest-y things of the world. But it was actually really fun to make, and everyone loved it (especially my brother-in-law, Jared, who now believes that if all his vegetables were served in such a way, he would be a much healthier man). 

Now I might be addicted to veggie creations, and I already have an idea for next year!


Did some serious planning for 2020

I love the transition from the old year to the new year. It gives me energy I normally don't have. 

Over the past month I've done some mega planning sessions for primary singing time. I created a framework to build around for the entire year. 

I've also outlined our budget for 2020 and prepped our calendar, and I got everything ready for our family to study the Book of Mormon for Come Follow Me

(Please know that I am operating beyond my normal level of functioning - I always do this time of year. I will crash and burn shortly, don't worry!)


Rescued drones


Nicky got a drone for his birthday and got it stuck in a tree. It took three generations of Brittish men to get it down. 

Celebrated birthdays

Our family has so many December and January birthdays. Apparently we are very fertile in the spring. Nicky turned 13 on the 27th. Tomorrow, I turn 36!!! 


Learned some new games





Went to the zoo


Hogle Zoo had free admission the day after Christmas. Normally I wouldn't be caught dead there, but I braved it on the 26th because I figured if we went right when it opened, most people would still be home in bed, sleeping off Christmas. It was a good move. The crowds were very manageable.


Went to see the lights at Temple Square... 


...at 6:00 a.m. the day after Christmas. 

The lights are on from 6:00-7:30 a.m. so on Christmas night, I asked my kids if they wanted to get up really early the next day and go see the lights. They all said yes! So we did it, and it was wonderful! 

We were also able to see the candy windows at Macy's without fighting through a crowd of people. It was amazing. My crowd aversion is legit, ya'll. 

After we saw the lights, we went to Cracker Barrel for breakfast and then to the zoo (this post is not happening in chronological order). 


Read Books




Just doing my motherly duty and reading aloud to my little stinkers. 

We finished The Best Christmas Pageant Ever before bed on Christmas Eve. It was a nice, indirect way to get them thinking about the nativity story. I read it to them just for fun, but it ended up being a good discussion starter. The kids in the book ask a lot of questions about Mary, Joseph, and Jesus and also about Herod and the wise men and more. It's done in a way that brings humor but also gets you thinking.

Watched several episodes of Lost


Scotty is actually the one watching Lost right now, but I piggy back an episode here and there. 

After watching Tess of the d'Urbervilles, I finished Les Miserables. Then I watched Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights - both which gave me the Romeo and Juliet effect!

(All of these were the BBC versions, and I'll just throw out some caution that all of them contain some sex and/or partial nudity)


Now here we are on New Year's Eve with two more days of Christmas break to go! I anticipate some major partying. We might even stay up until 10:00!

4 comments:

love.joy.lane said...

Do you like codenames? I love it but have learned some people are just hard to play with. We play it with Blake's family and our bookclub and it is so fun. We tried it with my family (various different combos) and it was painful every time. It's weird to me and I'm trying to figure out why...

Mama B said...

How the heck did you get all your kids to temple square at 6:00 AM the day after Christmas? I’d never be able to pull that off. NEVER. I wish I could though because it sounds real nice to go without the crowds. We’re there any people there?

Mama B said...

The things I have to do to leave a comment here are ridiculous so I hope you know how much I love you by being willing to go through it!

Britt said...

There were actually a lot more people at Temple Square than I would have expected. I thought there would mostly be people going to work at the Church Office Building, but there were a lot of youth groups going to the temple - getting in their last visits before the temple closed. There were also a few groups of tourists and a few families.