Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Recovery Week

We've had a lot of big events lately. We had Zoe's birthday, family photos, the primary program, and a tonsillectomy all within a matter of days. Now we're in recovery... from all of it.

Zoe's surgery was on Monday. I was really nervous for it. Her tonsils have always been huge, so I've planned on having them removed since she was an infant, it was just a matter of when. Daisy had hers out when she was three, and it was a really rough recovery. I dreaded putting Zoe through the same thing. We decided to wait until Zoe was a little older. Our ENT said it wouldn't hurt to wait, and he prefers to wait when possible.

Over the summer, while Scotty was traveling, Zoe kept sneaking into my bed after I fell asleep. She would end up waking me up repeatedly with her boisterous snoring, and I knew it was time to finally get the tonsils taken care of. I made her an appointment with the ENT. The next week, I took her to the pediatrician to address some asthma-related issues. In the past, when I'd asked the pediatrician what she thought of Zoe's tonsils, she'd say, "They're generous." But she didn't push for me to have them removed. This time, without me even asking about the tonsils, she said, "Her tonsils are touching. You should really get her into the ENT." This reassured me that I was making the right move, and I was pleased to tell the doctor that I already had Zoe's appointment with the ENT lined up (oh the rare and beautiful feeling of being one step ahead!)

As I said, I was really nervous for Zoe to have surgery. I am scarred from what we went through with Daisy, so I was planning on something far worse. The procedure itself went really well. The doctor told us that the tonsils were a lot bigger than they appeared. He removed her adenoids which were very large as well. This was great to hear because it validated our choice to do the surgery.


Zoe has been doing pretty well. She doesn't want to talk much. She's kind of mopey, but her complaints of pain have been minimal thus far. She's had some diva moments, but overall, things have been manageable. We're only two days post-op, so there's still a long road ahead, but we're much better off than we were at this point with Daisy's surgery.

Since this week is different than our normal routine, I'm having a hard time knowing what I should be doing. I'm trying to keep things calm at home and just lay low, but I'm "mom bored." This is the term I use when I don't know what to do with my time, and my choices are limited by my children's needs. There's plenty to do, I just don't feel like I can start any tasks because I don't know if I'll be able to finish anything. I'm kind of mopey, myself. 

2 comments:

love.joy.lane said...

Mom bored... Yes that is a perfect phrase. Yesterday, I had leaves to rake, a goat shelter to paint, shelfs to fix, and a few errands but I could not accomplish any of them because of sick, sad kids so I kind of walked aimlessly through the house doing minimal things but nothing of accomplishment.

Hope the recovery continues to go better than expected!

Amy Sorensen said...

I really feel like the only thing you can do is sit somewhere comfortable with her while she watches movies and you read a book. Or books.