Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Everything I Can Say Before We Go To The Dentist

My girls have dentist appointments this morning, so I had the option to take them to school and check them out forty minutes later, or keep them home for the morning. Normally I take them to school because then they don't get marked absent or tardy, but today, we're gonna take the tardies. This allowed me to slow down my morning - something I rarely do. I gave everyone a thorough bath, they all ate two (if not three) breakfasts, I did all their hair (not sure why - in Zoe's case it never really helps), and now they are watching Odd Squad which allows me a few minutes of blogging time.

Here's everything I can tell you before we go to the dentist... a post I would normally format as Bla Bla Bla and Ten Other Random Facts, but I haven't allowed the proper amount of buffering posts since I last took that cop out.

---------------------

In the past few years, I've learned this about myself: I am not a baker.

I used to try so hard to make all the bread things. I baked about twice a week - buns, rolls, bread, even soft preztels - and I was never good at it, but I really felt like it determined my value, so I kept trying. I gave it all up when I went back to school. A few weeks ago I baked the first batch of cookies I've made in my new oven... the new oven I've had for almost a year!

I am not a baker.

And last week I tried making rolls. It went like this:

Flour belly

That was after I burned some banana muffins - banana muffins in which I tried to reduce the sugar content and ended up using over $6 worth of raw, unfiltered honey. No muffin is worth that!

So I have to just confess... I'm not a baker.

And that's okay.

--------------------------

Other things I'm not:

  • A party planner
  • A housekeeper
  • A runner
  • A babysitter
  • A hairstylist
--------------------------

And while I'm on that topic, I have no desire to paint. I throw that out there because I feel like everyone has an innate desire to learn how to paint. And that's just fine. Go paint! Do your thing! But me? I have no interest in it at all. 

---------------------------

Let's move from "Stuff I'm Bad At" to "Stuff I'm Mad At."

I'm mad at Sam's Club. 

First, I'm mad that they are now requiring us to show our memberships at the door again. A few years ago they stopped doing that, and I thought it was the most marvelous and innovative move of all time! Perhaps I'm a diva, but I loathe having to pull a card out of my wallet while pushing the biggest shopping cart known to man full of the rowdiest kids known to man. Or at all. I don't want to take a card out of my wallet and put it back away when I have a mission ahead of me - a mission to buy mass amounts of milk and tortillas! 

So boo to you, Sam's Club, for taking this step backwards.

Second, they have rearranged the floor plan. Sigh... Don't mess with my stores! I have a system! Now I don't know how to effectively walk through Sam's Club. 


And lastly (until I have more things to add to my list), they got rid of their photo counter, and they only do photo services online now. No more same-day photo.

But in the end, Sam's Club wins because I will still shop there.

Grumble, grumble. 

-------------------------------

And thus ends my free time. Off to the dentist we go! Fingers crossed for a cavity-free visit!

UPDATE: The visit to the dentist yielded 8 cavities and a tooth extraction, and on top of that, the dentist was just called as a mission president, so he's outta there. Sigh...

No comments: