Saturday, September 14, 2019

What We Built

September Writing Challenge - Prompt #13:

Project

Early in the summer, our TV was on the fritz. I kept my eye out for good deals, and I ended up buying a new TV from Best Buy. It was bigger than our fritzed TV (which was 36"), so we needed to figure out what to put it on. Our previous "TV stand" was actually a really old computer armoire that was slowly falling apart.

In our minds, the set up is "temporary" because we plan on finishing our basement and moving the TV downstairs when we finally have a family room. But the thing is... the computer armoire was our "temporary" fix for the "finishing our basement" story, and it ended up hosting our TV for three years. When will we finish the basement? Maybe next month. Or maybe six years from now. I like to keep things suspenseful!

So even though our TV set-up is "temporary," we don't know how long "temporary" is going to be.

I had plans to find an old dresser from the thrift store to paint and put the TV on. You know, something cheap but cute. That way it wouldn't be a big financial investment, but hopefully it also wouldn't be ugly.

I checked out a few thrift stores, and then I realized that we have a backyard full of wood, and we could just build what we want!

So Scotty and I worked together to design and build a TV console for our new TV. It was a labor of love and afforded us many date nights in the back yard.


I've held back from writing about it on the blog because it doesn't photograph well. How vain is that? But really, it doesn't look great in photos because it's right across from a window, and there's no angle that really captures the amazing job that Scotty did putting it together (this angle was the best I could do to not get a horrendous glare).  We're pretty happy with how it turned out. It cost us about $60 to make.  

1 comment:

JJ said...

I really like the color. You guys have skills!